Washington County, Kentucky Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
(Added Probate Introduction)
(Added Land Introduction)
|Line 229:||Line 229:|
==== Land ====
==== Land ====
*[http://www.sos.ky.gov/land/ The KY Land Office]
*[http://www.sos.ky.gov/land/ The KY Land Office]
Revision as of 03:38, 8 July 2013
Guide to Washington County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Washington County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||June 22, 1792|
Washington County Kentucky Courthouse
Washington County Kentucky History
1814--A disaster destroyed most of the records in the courthouse.
Washington County Kentucky Places/Localities
|Bearwallow||Hickory Grove (hist.)||Oakland||Springfield|
|Booker||Jenkinsville||Pleasant Grove||St. Catherine|
|Brush Grove||Litsey||Pottsville||Tatham Springs|
Washington County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US)
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Kentucky Historical Society Cemetery Search can be searched by name, place and/or date. This database has hundreds of thousands of names transcribed from gravestones across Kentucky.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Washington County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Washington Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Washington County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Washington County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 federal population schedules of Washington County are available online. For tips on accessing census records online, see Kentucky Census. If you're having trouble finding your ancestors in online indexes, try checking printed indexes. Created by local experts familiar with the area's families, these indexes are often transcribed more accurately than online nationwide indexes.
See Kentucky Population Schedule Indexes: Fiche, Film, or Book for more information about statewide printed indexes.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Barlow] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. Abstracts of Virginia Families: Vol. 1. MSS. Microfilmed 1990: FHL Film 1597677 Item 12
- [Craven] Craven, Patricia. The Craven Clan of Southwestern Pennsylvania and Various Kentucky Counties Nelson, Washington, Marion, Boone, Fayette, Jessamine, Henry. Chicago, Ill.: P. Craven, 1988. FHL Book 929.273 C855cr
- [Gootee] Lundergan, Gene. Family Histories of the Lundergan-Norris and Related Families of Daviess County, Indiana. Typescript. Microfilmed 1986: FHL Film 1255703.
- [Graham] Sinclair, Thomas Graham. The William Graham and Harriet Froman Family of Carroll County, Missouri. Palm Desert, Calif.: T.G. Sinclair, 2003. Family History Archive.
- [Gregory] Gregory and Related Lines. MSS. Microfilmed 1987: FHL Film 1509499 Item 8.
- [Hardin] Hardin, John J. Hardin Family Papers. MSS., Chicago Historical Society. Microfilmed 1959: FHL Films 421996-422013.
- [Hatton] Carvin, Joseph Franklin. The Family of Wiley G. and Nancy Hatton. Columbus, Ohio: J.F. and M.A. Carvin, c1984. Digital version at Family History Archives; FHL Film 1697852 Item 12.
- [Lincoln] Hatcher, Patricia Law. "The Real Thomas Lincoln of Cumberland County, Kentucky: Not the Father of the President," The American Genealogist, Vol. 85, No. 4 (Oct. 2011):254-261. FHL Book 973 D25aga.
- [Peter] McDonald, Frank V. Supplement No. 1 to Edition B of the MacDonald Genealogy, Containing Records of the Descendants of Jesse Peter: One of the Pioneer Settlers Near Mackville, Washington County, Kentucky: Together with a Few Remarks on the Early History of the Peter family, and Whatever Other Knowledge of Value Concerning This Branch of the Name Could Be Collected Up to Feb. 25, 1880. Cambridge: John Wilson and Son, University Press, 1880. FHL Film 1429852 Item 26.
- [Rakes] Tungate, Paul. The John Rakes Families of Marion Co., KY. Cincinnati, Ohio: P. Tungate, 1995. Family History Archive.
- [Rowland] Petersen, Carol Rowland. Descendants of John Rowland, Son of William Rowland: (Botetourt Co., Va.). Belton, Mo.: C.R. Petersen, 1999. Digital version at Family History Archive.
- [Slack] Slack, Mary Louise McCarthy. The Slack Family, 1753-1981. Cullman, Ala.: M.M. Slack, 1981. FHL Book 929.273 SL11sm.
- [Taylor] Tompkins, Joyce L. and Marjorie Dorn. Taylor, Lovell, and Related Names. MSS. Microfilmed 1990: FHL Film 1674173 Item 11.
- [Thomas] A Line of a Thomas Family in Pike County, Indiana. Typescript. Family Records Collection, Barrett Memorial Library (Petersburg, Indiana). Thom. Microfilmed 1986: FHL Film 1451835 Item 1.
- [Thurman] Thurman, David Livingston. History of the Thurman Family. Typescript. Microfilmed 1978: FHL Film 1036650 Item 8.
- [Warner] Reynolds, Lyman Foster. Peter Warner Born Maryland - Fredrick County: Revolutionary War Soldier (with George Washington in Capture of Trenton) to Lincoln County Kentucky 1780's, Children Settled in Kentucky; Lincoln, Garrard, Boyle, Mercer & Washington Counties; Indiana Putnam County. Louisville, Ky.: L.F. Reynolds, 2007. FHL Book 929.273 W246r
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Washington County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- Archives of Appalachia ~ Preserving the history of the people of Appalachia.
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
- KY Postcards Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Washington County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
Probate records are held by the Washington County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Washington County, Kentucky Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1792-1929 - Will Books (1792-1929) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
- 1800 - 1800 Tax List of Washington County, Kentucky Genealogy is included in Clift's Second Census of Kentucky 1800, digitized by Ancestry ($).
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Washington County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Washington County, Kentucky Genealogy Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records.
- 1852-1859 - Washington County Birth Index 1852-1859. Batch C518051 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875-1876 - Washington County Birth Index 1875-1876. Batch C518052 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1859 - Washington County Marriage Index 1852-1859. Batch M518051 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Washington County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M518053 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1877 - Washington County Marriage Index 1876-1877. Batch M518054 at FamilySearch - free.
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Washington County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Washington County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Washington County KYGenWeb
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Washington County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Washington County Kentucky Genealogy References
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Washington County, Kentucky page 275, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ G. Glenn Clift, Second Census of Kentucky 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (1954; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/7/75/Igikentuckymz.pdf.