Washington County, Maine GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Washington County Maine genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Washington County, Maine|
Location in the state of Maine
|Founded||June 25, 1789|
|Address|| Washington County Courthouse|
PO Box 297
Machias, ME 04654-0297
Washington County Website
Town Clerks have birth, marriage, death and burial records. Clerk of the Court has divorce and court records from 1931, probate records from 1785, land records from 1783 and naturalization records from 1854. Maine State Archives, Augusta, has divorce and court records before 1931.
Places / Localities
Towns and Cities
Plantations. For further details see Maine plantations.
Unorganized territories. Within each group townships are listed from southeast to northwest. For further details see Maine townships.
Communities • Machias • Woodland
Village • Forest City
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Washington County MEGenWeb Project, an member of The MEGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Washington County
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Washington County (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Washington County
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Washington County, Maine page 305, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Handybook for Genealogists, 181.
- ↑ Before an extinct town or plantation was discontinued, chances are it created official records of interest to genealogists. For preservation these records were usually turned over to a nearby functioning town in the same county.
- ↑ Michael J. Leclerc, Genealogist's Handbook for New England Research, 5th ed. (Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2012), 119. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974 D27g 2012.
- Maine, Washington County Revolutionary, Probate, and Cansus Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This Maine-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.