Washington County, Rhode Island GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 22:51, 12 September 2008 by Dsammy
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
There is no county government. The government is located at town and state levels.
- Formed in 3 June 1729 as Kings County from part of Providence Plantations.
- Renamed Washington County in 29 October 1781.
- Named for George Washington, the American Revolutionary general, and first president of the United States.
- Washington County is more commonly known as "South County."
Places / Localities
- Towns: Charlestown . Exeter . Hopkinton . Narragansett . New Shoreham . North Kingstown . Richmond . South Kingstown . Westerly
- Villages: Alton . Kingston . Point Judith . Quonochontaug . Saunderstown . Watch Hill . Wickford
- Communities: Ashaway . Bradford . Hope Valley . Narragansett Pier . Wakefield-Peacedale . Westerly
Societies and Libraries
- FamilySearch.org catalog for Washington County
- The Washington County RIGenWeb Project, an member of The RIGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.