Washington County, Rhode IslandEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 05:51, 17 September 2008 by Dsammy
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
There is no county government. The government is located at town and state levels.
- Named for George Washington, the American Revolutionary general, and first president of the United States.
- Washington County is more commonly known as "South County."
- Formed in 3 June 1729 as Kings County from part of Providence Plantations.
- Renamed Washington County 29 October 1781.
Places / Localities
- Towns: Charlestown . Exeter . Hopkinton . Narragansett . New Shoreham . North Kingstown . Richmond . South Kingstown . Westerly
- Villages: Alton . Kingston . Point Judith . Quonochontaug . Saunderstown . Watch Hill . Wickford
- Communities: Ashaway . Bradford . Hope Valley . Narragansett Pier . Wakefield-Peacedale . Westerly
Societies and Libraries
- FamilySearch.org catalog for Washington County
- The Washington County RIGenWeb Project, an member of The RIGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
We want your opinion!
Give feedback on two US state pages by clicking on the purple button belowClick Here