Waterhead, Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
Line 3: Line 3:
 
== Chapelry History  ==
 
== Chapelry History  ==
  
Waterhead Holy Trinity was created a district chapelry in 1844 from, and lying within the boundaries of&nbsp; [[Prestwich, Lancashire]] Ecclesiastical Parish. <br><br>  
+
Waterhead Holy Trinity was created a district chapelry in 1844 from, and lying within the boundaries of&nbsp; [[Prestwich St Mary, Lancashire]] Ecclesiastical Parish. <br><br>  
  
"WATERHEAD, a chapelry in Prestwich parish, Lancashire; 1½ mile SE of Oldham r. station. It was constituted in 1844; and it has a post-office, of the name of W. Mill, under Oldham. Rated property, £14,729. Pop., 3,941. Houses, 823. The property is much sub-divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is in the early English style. There are national schools."
+
"WATERHEAD, a chapelry in Prestwich parish, Lancashire; 1½ mile SE of Oldham r. station. It was constituted in 1844; and it has a post-office, of the name of W. Mill, under Oldham. Rated property, £14,729. Pop., 3,941. Houses, 823. The property is much sub-divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is in the early English style. There are national schools."  
 
+
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
+
  
 +
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
  
 +
<br>
  
 
"WATERHEAD, an ecclesiastical parish, in the parish of Prestwich cum Oldham, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 2 miles (E. by N.) from Oldham; containing upwards of 4000 inhabitants. It is about a mile in length and two miles in breadth, of cold aspect, and rather sterile and rugged surface. Whatever part of the land has escaped conversion into stone-quarries and coal-mines, is occupied in grazing cattle. The village has grown into its present magnitude within the last twenty years: the population is employed in the mines and the cotton manufacture. The road from Manchester to Huddersfield passes through. The district of Waterhead was formed out of St. James's district, Oldham, in Nov. 1844, under the act 6th and 7th Victoria, cap. 37; and became a parish on the consecration of the church in July 1847. The edifice is dedicated to the Holy and Undivided Trinity, and is a beautiful structure in the style of the 13th century, containing accommodation for 800 persons. Of the cost, exceeding £3000, the sum of £1380 was contributed by Church-Building societies, and the remainder collected from the inhabitants of Waterhead and Oldham, and, through the exertions of the Rev. P. H. Reynolds, the first incumbent of the parish, from persons in other parts of England. It is proposed to erect a tower and spire, when funds are obtained for the purpose. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Crown and the Bishop of Manchester, alternately; net income, £150. The late A. R. Sidebottom, Esq., presented the sites for the church and schools. There is a place of worship for Independents."  
 
"WATERHEAD, an ecclesiastical parish, in the parish of Prestwich cum Oldham, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 2 miles (E. by N.) from Oldham; containing upwards of 4000 inhabitants. It is about a mile in length and two miles in breadth, of cold aspect, and rather sterile and rugged surface. Whatever part of the land has escaped conversion into stone-quarries and coal-mines, is occupied in grazing cattle. The village has grown into its present magnitude within the last twenty years: the population is employed in the mines and the cotton manufacture. The road from Manchester to Huddersfield passes through. The district of Waterhead was formed out of St. James's district, Oldham, in Nov. 1844, under the act 6th and 7th Victoria, cap. 37; and became a parish on the consecration of the church in July 1847. The edifice is dedicated to the Holy and Undivided Trinity, and is a beautiful structure in the style of the 13th century, containing accommodation for 800 persons. Of the cost, exceeding £3000, the sum of £1380 was contributed by Church-Building societies, and the remainder collected from the inhabitants of Waterhead and Oldham, and, through the exertions of the Rev. P. H. Reynolds, the first incumbent of the parish, from persons in other parts of England. It is proposed to erect a tower and spire, when funds are obtained for the purpose. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Crown and the Bishop of Manchester, alternately; net income, £150. The late A. R. Sidebottom, Esq., presented the sites for the church and schools. There is a place of worship for Independents."  

Revision as of 15:46, 25 March 2011

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Contents

Chapelry History

Waterhead Holy Trinity was created a district chapelry in 1844 from, and lying within the boundaries of  Prestwich St Mary, Lancashire Ecclesiastical Parish.

"WATERHEAD, a chapelry in Prestwich parish, Lancashire; 1½ mile SE of Oldham r. station. It was constituted in 1844; and it has a post-office, of the name of W. Mill, under Oldham. Rated property, £14,729. Pop., 3,941. Houses, 823. The property is much sub-divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is in the early English style. There are national schools."

(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))


"WATERHEAD, an ecclesiastical parish, in the parish of Prestwich cum Oldham, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 2 miles (E. by N.) from Oldham; containing upwards of 4000 inhabitants. It is about a mile in length and two miles in breadth, of cold aspect, and rather sterile and rugged surface. Whatever part of the land has escaped conversion into stone-quarries and coal-mines, is occupied in grazing cattle. The village has grown into its present magnitude within the last twenty years: the population is employed in the mines and the cotton manufacture. The road from Manchester to Huddersfield passes through. The district of Waterhead was formed out of St. James's district, Oldham, in Nov. 1844, under the act 6th and 7th Victoria, cap. 37; and became a parish on the consecration of the church in July 1847. The edifice is dedicated to the Holy and Undivided Trinity, and is a beautiful structure in the style of the 13th century, containing accommodation for 800 persons. Of the cost, exceeding £3000, the sum of £1380 was contributed by Church-Building societies, and the remainder collected from the inhabitants of Waterhead and Oldham, and, through the exertions of the Rev. P. H. Reynolds, the first incumbent of the parish, from persons in other parts of England. It is proposed to erect a tower and spire, when funds are obtained for the purpose. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Crown and the Bishop of Manchester, alternately; net income, £150. The late A. R. Sidebottom, Esq., presented the sites for the church and schools. There is a place of worship for Independents."

From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 484-486. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51381 Date accessed: 03 August 2010.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Parish registers, 1845-1980 Microreproduction of original records hosued at the Central Library, Oldham.
Waterhead is a chapelry in the parish of Prestwich, but was formerley in the parish of Oldham.

Content
Film
Baptisms, 1845-1912 Burials, 1847-1928 Alphabetical graveyard register, 1847-1980 South side monumental inscriptions, 1848 Marriages, 1847-1884
FHL BRITISH Film
1656270
Marriages, 1884-1911
FHL BRITISH Film
1656354 Items 1-2


Census records

Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census

Poor Law Unions

Oldham Poor Law Union

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.