Wayne County, OhioEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Wayne County Ohio genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.Coordinates:
|Wayne County, Ohio|
Location in the state of Ohio
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Address|| Wayne County Courthouse|
428 West Liberty St
Wooster, Ohio 44691
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Colulmbiana and Stark Counties in 1808 (1812).
- County Seat: Wooster
- Neighboring Counties: Wayne County, Ohio residents may also have records in Medina (north) · Holmes (south) · Ashland (west) · Summit (northeast) · Stark (east)
See an interactive map of Wayne County boundary changes.
Business Records and Commerce
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.
|Online Grave Transcripts||Published Grave Transcripts||County Cemetery Directories|
|Family History Library|
See Ohio Cemeteries for more information.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
- Civil War service men from Wayne County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Wayne County.
- - 4th Regiment, Ohio Infantry (3 months, 1861), Company E (also known as Given Guards) with many men from Wooster.
- - 41st Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Company C
- - 102nd Regiment, Ohio Infantry , Companies F, H , and I
- - 107th Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Company C, especially from the town of Wooster
- - 166th Regiment, Ohio Infantry (National Guard), Company G
Naturalization and Citizenship
Wayne County Courthouse
107 W Liberty Street; PO Box 407
Wooster, OH 44691-4850
Probate Court has birth and death records 1867-1908, marriage records from 1813 and probate records from 1812; Board of Health has birth and death records from 1908; Common Pleas Court Clerk has divorce and court records from 1812; County Recorder has land records from 1812.
Family History Centers
Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Wayne County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Wayne County, Ohio. Page 546 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
|This Ohio-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback