Wells County, Indiana GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Wells County, Indiana|
| Map of Indiana highlighting Wells County|
Location in the state of Indiana
Location of Indiana in the U.S.
|Founded||February 7, 1835|
|Address|| Wells County Courthouse|
102 W Market Street
Bluffton, IN 46714
Wells County Website
Wells County, Indiana Resources
- Cemeteries of Well County LinkpendiumINGen WebIndiana Genealogical Society
- Apostolic Christian Church Cemetery
- LDS Cemetery Records
US Vol. 5 page 193 - Prairieview Cemetery
- Spider Hill Cemetery, Bluffton BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Wells County, Indiana Genealogy census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Index to Mortality Schedule (1860) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Index to Defective, Dependent & Delinquent Census (1880) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic and Religious Groups
- History of Well CountyLinkpendium
- Tyndall, John W., and O. E. Lesh. 1975. Standard history of Adams and Wells counties, Indiana: an authentic narrative of the past, with an extended survey of modern developments in the progress of town and country. (Evansville, Ind: Unigraphic, Inc.)977.27 H2t FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other libraryVol. 1 INTERNET ARCHIVE; name index: FamilySearch Books Online - free; Vol. 2INTERNET ARCHIVE
Land and Property
- Maps and GazetteersLinkpendium
War of 1812
- Military Records and HisrtoiesLinkpendium
Civil War service men from Well County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Wells County.
- 11th Regiment,Indiana Cavalry, Company C
- 13th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company H
- 16th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company K
- 34th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, and K
- 47th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, and K
- 75th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 88th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
- 101st Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies B and G
- 130th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
- 137th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company E
- 138th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company I
- 153rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies B, E, and G
- 155th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
- 28th US Colored Troops, Addition Recruits for Colored Troops
World War I
World War II
Naturalization and Citizenship
- Roster of Civilian Conservation Corps, Bluffton, Wells County, Indiana (1938) - Indiana Genealogical Society ($)
Wells County Courthouse
102 W Market Street
Bluffton, IN 46714
County Health Department has birth and death records.
County Clerk has marriage, divorce and court records from 1837
and probate records from 1838.
County Recorder has land records. 
Family History Centers
- Partial School Enumeration of Harrison Township, Wells County, Indiana (1844, 1849) - Indiana Genealogical Society ($)
- Indiana State Digital Archives for Death, E-Publication, Institution, Military, Misc Historical, Naturalization Records can be searched by person name (accessed 26 May 2011)
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892-Ancestry.con $
- Indiana Marriages, 1780-1992-FamilySearch
- Indiana Marriage, 1811-1959-FamilySearch
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920-FamilySearch
Wells County, Indiana Web Sites
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Wells County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Wells County, Indiana 217 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
|This Indiana-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.