West Derby St Mary, Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m (Text replace - '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''' to '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''')
(12 intermediate revisions by 7 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
+
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png|go to]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png|go to]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
  
[[Image:St_Mary_West_Derby_.jpg|thumb|right|West Derby St Mary]]
+
Guide to '''West Derby St Mary, Lancashire family history and genealogy:''' chapelry register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
 +
 
 +
[[Image:St Mary West Derby .jpg|thumb|right|St Mary West Derby .jpg]]  
  
 
== Chapelry History  ==
 
== Chapelry History  ==
  
West Derby St Mary was created a chapel of ease by 1688 from and lying within the boundaries of [[Walton on the Hill St Mary, Lancashire]] ancient parish.  
+
DERBY, WEST St Mary, a district '''chapel of ease''' as of 1688, and the head of a union, in the parish of [[Walton on the Hill St Mary, Lancashire]], hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 4 miles northeast of Liverpool. St James' church was built, in 1847. St Jude's church, in Hardwick-street, was built in 1841. There are also churches at Stanley (or Old Swan), Knotty-Ash, and Edge-Hill, which places are separately described. A '''Roman Catholic''' chapel, called Gillmoss chapel, is situated in West Derby, about a mile from Croxteth Hall; it was built in 1823.<ref>Lewis, Samuel A., ''[http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50918#s10 A Topographical Dictionary of England]''  (1848), pp. 32-46. Adapted. Date accessed: 08 October 2013.</ref>
  
Other places in the parish include: Stanley and Kensington.  
+
The earlier chapelry building was replaced in 1853/4 by present church designed by Gilbert G. Scott built of red sandstone with Yorkshire stone pillars and is situated in the heart of West Derby Village at the entrance to Croxteth Park.  
  
The earlier chapelry building was replaced in 1853/4 by present church designed by&nbsp; Gilbert G. Scott built of red sandstone with Yorkshire stone pillars and is situated in the heart of West Derby Village at the entrance to Croxteth Park.It is regarded as a fine example of Scott’s work and has windows by Clayton and Bell together with some fine wood-work in the Chancel and Sanctuary. The style is 14th century Gothic, but because of the great expense of providing secure foundations for the tower, the original more elaborate design had to be significantly modified. The whole cost was raised by voluntary subscriptions! The building cost £8,000. The tower, marked by three turrets of matching size and a larger one which includes the staircase cost another £4,000 and was built at the expense of Mr Pemberton Heywood. It is 30 feet square and over 160 feet high. The nave is 72 feet by 50 feet and the chancel 41 feet by 25 feet.<br>
+
<br>  
 
+
<br>
+
 
+
<br>
+
 
+
"DERBY, WEST (St. Mary), a district [chapel of ease as of 1688], and the head of a union, in the parish of Walton-on-the-Hill, hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 4 miles (N. E.) from Liverpool; containing 16,864 inhabitants. The "Wood of Derby" is described in the Perambulation of the Forests, 12th Henry III., when it was exempted from being disafforested. In the 50th of the same reign, the honour of Derby, with the manor and lands of West Derby, and other places, that belonged to Robert de Ferrers, one of the rebellious barons, was bestowed upon Edmund, Earl of Lancaster: and in 1320, Thomas, Earl of Lancaster, gave the manor of "Westderby juxta Leverpole" to Robert de Holland. On Henry de Bolingbroke, Duke of Lancaster, becoming king, this, with other manors, went to the crown, with which it remained until the time of Charles I. The manor afterwards passed to various families, among whom were the Stanleys, Legays, and more recently the Greens. The heiress of the last was married to Bamber Gascoyne, Esq., of Childwall; and his daughter, by marriage with the Marquess of Salisbury, conveyed the estate to that noble family. In the Saxon era West Derby was probably the capital of the hundred; and a mound of earth, removed some years ago by Mr. Gascoyne, indicated by its name, Castle Hill, the site of the ancient castle. The parish is seven miles long and five broad, and includes two of the principal suburbs of Liverpool, with portions of the parliamentary borough; it stands on rising ground, commanding beautiful views of the surrounding country. The Zoological gardens of Liverpool are here; they occupy a pleasant site, encompassed by elevated land, and the natural features of the spot have been judiciously improved by art. The only house of early date is that, not appropriately, called New Hall, the residence for many generations of a branch of the Molyneux family; but the district abounds in elegant modern mansions and villas. Yew-Tree House, with 60 acres, is the property and seat of Lawrence Heyworth, Esq., who also owns Rice House, with 40 acres, occupied by Joshua Heap, Esq. Deysbrook, the seat of R. B. B. H. Blundell, Esq., was rebuilt in 1847, from the designs of Mr. Smirke. The Elms is the seat of Mrs. Mary Thornton and daughters; Staplands, that of the Misses Molyneux; and Ashfield House, that of Mrs. John Clarke. Croxteth Hall is noticed under its own head. Tue-Brook Villa, situated three miles from Liverpool, a private asylum for insane persons in the higher ranks of society, under the management of Mr. and Mrs. Owen, is a handsome building in the Italian style, and admirably adapted for the comfort and classification of the inmates. The court-house for the barony and manor is a dark stone edifice, in which are frequently held courts leet for portions of the hundred. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of John Stewart, Esq., of Liverpool; income, £1300. The parish church is a plain structure, in the centre of the village. St. James' church was built at a cost of £8000, in 1847, and is in the early English style, with a tower, and a very beautiful interior; it was erected at the sole expense of Mrs. Thornton, of The Elms, in whom the patronage is vested: the living is a perpetual curacy, with an income of £150. St. Jude's church, in Hardwick-street, built in 1841, on ground given by the Marquess of Salisbury, is in the style of the 13th century, and is of brick, with stone pinnacles and ornaments; the cost of its erection was £9000: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of five Trustees. Two full services are performed every Sunday, and a lecture is delivered every Wednesday, at the Union-Workhouse chapel, in Mill-road, Everton. There are also churches at Stanley (or Old Swan), Knotty-Ash, and Edge-Hill, which places are separately described. A Roman Catholic chapel, called Gillmoss chapel, is situated in West Derby, about a mile from Croxteth Hall; it was built in 1823, at a cost of £2500, on a site given by the late Earl of Sefton, and is a plain but neat edifice of brick, in the Grecian style, 75 feet in length and 40 in breadth, accommodating between 400 and 500 persons. Among the schools is one endowed with lands and money in the funds, producing together £34 per annum; and attached to the Roman Catholic chapel is a spacious school for boys and girls, completed in 1840, on a piece of ground the gift of the present Earl of Sefton. The poor law union of West Derby comprises 23 parishes or places, and contains a population of 66,032.—See Liverpool."
+
 
+
Adapted from: ''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 32-46. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50918 Date accessed: 29 June 2010.
+
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
Line 29: Line 23:
 
==== Church records  ====
 
==== Church records  ====
  
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
+
===== '''Online Records'''  =====
 +
 
 +
'''<u>Church of England</u>'''
 +
 
 +
West Derby St Mary chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of [[Walton on the Hill St Mary, Lancashire|Walton on the Hill St Mary]] to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
 +
 
 +
{| width="305" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" border="1"
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''AC''' = [http://search.ancestry.co.uk Ancestry.co.uk (£)]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''FMP''' = [http://www.findmypast.co.uk/content/sog/misc-series FindMyPast.co.uk (£)]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''FREG''' = [http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl FreeReg]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''FS ''' = [http://familysearch.org FamilySearch.org]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''LBMD''' = [http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk LancashireBMD.org.uk]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''LOPC''' = [http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/indexp.html Lancashire Online Parish Clerk]
 +
|}
 +
 
 +
<br>
 +
 
 +
{| width="625" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" border="1" align="center"
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" align="center" colspan="4" | '''WEST DERBY ST MARY Chapelry&nbsp; (1681) Indexes'''
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" |
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | <u>'''Baptisms'''</u>
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | <u>'''Marriages'''</u>
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | <u>'''Burials'''</u>
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''FS'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | [http://familysearch.org 1688-1955]
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://familysearch.org 1681-1744, 1837-1929]
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''LOPC'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | [http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Liverpool/West-Derby/stmary/index.html 1688-1707, 1813-1926]
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Liverpool/West-Derby/stmary/index.html 1698-1737, 1837-1947]
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''LBMD'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/cgi/marrind.cgi?county=lancashire 1838-1984]
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''AC'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | [http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=5895 1688-1837]
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=5895 1698-1837]
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" align="center" colspan="6" | '''[[Walton on the Hill St Mary, Lancashire|WALTON ON THE HILL ST MARY THE VIRGIN]] PARISH&nbsp;(1586) Indexes '''''(ancient parish containing WEST&nbsp;DERBY&nbsp;ST&nbsp;MARY Chapelry)''
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" |
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | <u>'''Baptisms'''</u>
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | <u>'''Marriages'''</u>
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | <u>'''Burials'''</u>
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''FS'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | [http://familysearch.org 1586-1903]
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://familysearch.org 1586-1918]
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | [http://familysearch.org 1710-1970]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''LOPC'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | [http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Liverpool/Walton/stmary/index.html 1792-1903]
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Liverpool/Walton/stmary/index.html 1791-1805, 1818-1869]
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | [http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Liverpool/Walton/stmary/index.html 1767-1812]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''LBMD'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/cgi/marrind.cgi?county=lancashire 1837-1977]
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''FMP'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://www.findmypast.co.uk/content/sog/misc-series 1586-1662]
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''AC'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | [http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=5895 1586-1746]
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=5895 1586-1746]
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | [http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=5895 1586-1746]
 +
|}
 +
 
 +
<br>
 +
 
 +
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding West Derby St Mary and comprising the whole ancient parish of Walton on the Hill St Mary to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the [[Walton on the Hill St Mary, Lancashire|WALTON&nbsp;ON&nbsp;THE&nbsp;HILL&nbsp;ST&nbsp;MARY]]&nbsp;PARISH page.
 +
 
 +
<br>
  
 
West Derby- St Mary<br>Baptisms Transcript-1688-1837- 929.3272 We1<br>Marriages Transcript-1698-1837- 929.3272 We1  
 
West Derby- St Mary<br>Baptisms Transcript-1688-1837- 929.3272 We1<br>Marriages Transcript-1698-1837- 929.3272 We1  
Line 41: Line 124:
 
Parish registers for St. Mary-the-Virgin Church, West Derby, 1688-1948 Microfilm copy of original records at the Liverpool Record Office.<br>West Derby was a chapelry of Walton-on-the-Hill parish until 1847.<br>Liverpool Record Office no.: WES 1/1-2, 2/1-7, 3/1-10, 5/1-2.<br>  
 
Parish registers for St. Mary-the-Virgin Church, West Derby, 1688-1948 Microfilm copy of original records at the Liverpool Record Office.<br>West Derby was a chapelry of Walton-on-the-Hill parish until 1847.<br>Liverpool Record Office no.: WES 1/1-2, 2/1-7, 3/1-10, 5/1-2.<br>  
  
{| cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" border="1" style="width: 613px; height: 442px;"
+
{| cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" border="1" style="width: 613px; height: 442px"
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Content<br>  
 
| Content<br>  
Line 63: Line 146:
 
Bishop's transcripts for St. Mary-the-Virgin Church, West Derby, 1697-1871 Microfilm of original records at the Lancashire Record Office, Preston.<br>West Derby was a chapelry of Walton-on-the-Hill until 1847.<br>  
 
Bishop's transcripts for St. Mary-the-Virgin Church, West Derby, 1697-1871 Microfilm of original records at the Lancashire Record Office, Preston.<br>West Derby was a chapelry of Walton-on-the-Hill until 1847.<br>  
  
{| cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" border="1" style="width: 615px; height: 129px;"
+
{| cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" border="1" style="width: 615px; height: 129px"
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Content<br>  
 
| Content<br>  
Line 76: Line 159:
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
  
{{Expand section|any unique information, such as ''the census for X year was destroyed''}}
+
{{British Census|306906}}  
  
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census <br>  
+
<br>  
  
 
==== Poor Law Unions  ====
 
==== Poor Law Unions  ====
  
[[West Derby, Lancashire Poor Law Union]]
+
[[West Derby, Lancashire Poor Law Union]]  
  
 
==== Probate records<br>  ====
 
==== Probate records<br>  ====
Line 97: Line 180:
 
== Web sites  ==
 
== Web sites  ==
  
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
+
{{expand section|any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.}}
  
<br>
+
== References  ==
 +
 
 +
{{Reflist}} {{Lancashire}}
  
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]

Revision as of 16:47, 8 October 2013

England go to Lancashire go to Lancashire Parishes

Guide to West Derby St Mary, Lancashire family history and genealogy: chapelry register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.

St Mary West Derby .jpg

Contents

Chapelry History

DERBY, WEST St Mary, a district chapel of ease as of 1688, and the head of a union, in the parish of Walton on the Hill St Mary, Lancashire, hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 4 miles northeast of Liverpool. St James' church was built, in 1847. St Jude's church, in Hardwick-street, was built in 1841. There are also churches at Stanley (or Old Swan), Knotty-Ash, and Edge-Hill, which places are separately described. A Roman Catholic chapel, called Gillmoss chapel, is situated in West Derby, about a mile from Croxteth Hall; it was built in 1823.[1]

The earlier chapelry building was replaced in 1853/4 by present church designed by Gilbert G. Scott built of red sandstone with Yorkshire stone pillars and is situated in the heart of West Derby Village at the entrance to Croxteth Park.


Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Church records

Online Records

Church of England

West Derby St Mary chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Walton on the Hill St Mary to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:

AC = Ancestry.co.uk (£)
FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk (£)
FREG = FreeReg
FS = FamilySearch.org
LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk
LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk


WEST DERBY ST MARY Chapelry  (1681) Indexes
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS 1688-1955 1681-1744, 1837-1929 None
LOPC 1688-1707, 1813-1926 1698-1737, 1837-1947 None
LBMD None 1838-1984 None
AC 1688-1837 1698-1837 None
WALTON ON THE HILL ST MARY THE VIRGIN PARISH (1586) Indexes (ancient parish containing WEST DERBY ST MARY Chapelry)
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS 1586-1903 1586-1918 1710-1970
LOPC 1792-1903 1791-1805, 1818-1869 1767-1812
LBMD None 1837-1977 None
FMP None 1586-1662 None
AC 1586-1746 1586-1746 1586-1746


For a full list of all those chapels surrounding West Derby St Mary and comprising the whole ancient parish of Walton on the Hill St Mary to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the WALTON ON THE HILL ST MARY PARISH page.


West Derby- St Mary
Baptisms Transcript-1688-1837- 929.3272 We1
Marriages Transcript-1698-1837- 929.3272 We1

The Manchester Room and Greater Manchester County Record Office
Email: archiveslocalstudies@manchester.gov.uk

The Manchester Room@City Library (Local Studies)

For original registers of above please enquire at Liverpool Record Office.

Parish registers for St. Mary-the-Virgin Church, West Derby, 1688-1948 Microfilm copy of original records at the Liverpool Record Office.
West Derby was a chapelry of Walton-on-the-Hill parish until 1847.
Liverpool Record Office no.: WES 1/1-2, 2/1-7, 3/1-10, 5/1-2.

Content
Film
Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1688-1812. Baptisms, 1813-1848.
FHL BRITISH Film
1546069 Items 4 - 7
Baptisms, 1847-1947. Marriages, 1837-1863. (Items 2 & 3 were filmed out of order and with the wrong title boards. Correct title boards were filmed after item 6.)
FHL BRITISH Film
1546070
Marriages, 1863-1929.
FHL BRITISH Film
1546071
Marriages, 1929-1947. Banns, 1837-1907, 1944-1948.
FHL BRITISH Film
1546085


Bishop's transcripts for St. Mary-the-Virgin Church, West Derby, 1697-1871 Microfilm of original records at the Lancashire Record Office, Preston.
West Derby was a chapelry of Walton-on-the-Hill until 1847.

Content
Film
Baptisms, marriages and burials, 1697, 1723-1805; baptisms 1808-1871.
FHL BRITISH Film
1468982 Items 2 - 3


Census records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306906.


Poor Law Unions

West Derby, Lancashire Poor Law Union

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

References

  1. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 32-46. Adapted. Date accessed: 08 October 2013.