West Houghton, LancashireEdit This Page

From FamilySearch Wiki

Revision as of 16:50, 8 October 2013 by Nickeygreene (Talk | contribs)

England go to Lancashire go to Lancashire Parishes

Guide to West Houghton, Lancashire family history and genealogy: chapelry register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.

St. Bartholomew, Westhoughton.jpg

Contents

Chapelry History

HOUGHTON, WEST, a chapelry, in the parish of Deane, union of Bolton, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 4 miles west by southwest of Bolton. An episcopal chapel, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, existed in West Houghton in 1662, when it had a roof of thatch; the edifice was rebuilt in 1731, and is now dedicated to St Mary. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, and the Society of Friends. [1]

HOUGHTON (WEST), a village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district in Deane parish, Bolton district, Lancashire. The chapelry is less extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1860. The church was rebuilt in 1731; and re-rebuilt in 1869-70. There are chapels for Independents, Quakers, and Methodists, and a national school.[2]

The first known chapel dedicated to St. Bartholomew, existed in 1577 (believed to have been built in 1509) and a thatched roof, in the midst of the moors, the floor being covered with rushes which the people brought at certain times of the year, and from which custom the ancient rush-bearing festival, and in later years the Wakes, became an annual event. This humble edifice had to be demolished on account of it being “very ruinous and in decay because of its great antiquity.”

A new chapel was built in 1731 and because it was built as a district chapelry, Westhoughton Parish Registers began in 1732. This new chapel, built on an ancient site was consecrated by Bishop Peplo of Chester. By 1860 Westhoughton had taken a step towards parochial autonomy, but it was still to some extent under the jurisdiction of Deane. The Church sadly was gutted by fire in December 1990. Only the tower remained intact, and a new church was consecrated on October 28th 1995. The old building stood from 1869 to 1990.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Church records

Online Records

Church of England

West Houghton chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Deane to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:

AC = Ancestry.co.uk (£)
FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk (£)
FREG = FreeReg
FS = FamilySearch.org
LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk
LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk


WESTHOUGHTON ST BARTHOLOMEW Chapelry (1732) Indexes
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS 1732-1840 1733-1754 None
LOPC 1874-1915 1874-1915 1874-1915
AC None None None
DEANE PARISH ST MARY THE VIRGIN (1636) Indexes (ancient parish containing WESTHOUGHTON Chapelry)
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS 1604-1829 1604- 1812 None
LOPC 1604-1750  1604-1750; 1837-1890 1604-1684; 1813-1887
AC 1613-1750 1613-1750 None
LBMD 1837-1992


For a full list of all those chapels surrounding West Houghton and comprising the whole ancient parish of Deane to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the DEANE ST MARY PARISH page.


Westhoughton- St Bartholomew
Baptisms-1732-1852- MFPR 148
Baptisms-1853-1905- MFPR 1605
Burials-1732-1839- MFPR 148
Burials-1840-1886- MFPR 2100
Marriages-1733-1754- MFPR 148
Marriages-1860-1900- MFPR 1606

The Manchester Room and Greater Manchester County Record Office
Email: archiveslocalstudies@manchester.gov.uk

The Manchester Room@City Library (Local Studies)

Parish registers for St. Bartholomew's Church, West Houghton, 1732-1929 Microfilm copy of originals at the Manchester Central Library, Manchester, England.
West Houghton is a village, a township, and a chapelry in Deane parish. The chapel is known as St. Bartholomew's.
Manchester Archives Central Library call nos.: L 122/1/3/3-5; L 122/1/4/2; L 122/1/6/1-4.

Content
Film
Baptisms and burials, 1732-1793. Burials, 1739-1748. Marriages, 1733-1754. Baptisms and burials, 1793-1812 (some duplication). Baptisms, 1813-1852. Burials, 1813-1839.
FHL BRITISH Film
2113219 Items 1 - 21
Baptisms, 1853-1905. Marriages, 1860-July 1898.
FHL BRITISH Film
2356301
Marriages, July 1898-1900. Banns, 1860-1929.
FHL BRITISH Film
2356302 Items 1 - 5
Burials, 1840-1886.
VAULT BRITISH Film
2357499 Item 3


Bishop's transcripts for West Houghton, 1755-1839 Microreproduction of original manuscripts housed at the Lancashire Record Office, Preston.
West Houghton is a chapelry in the parish of Deane.
Lancashire Record Office: DRM/2/80-81a

Content
Film
Baptisms and burials, 1755-1839
FHL BRITISH Film
1545485



Census records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306925.


Poor Law Unions

Bolton, Lancashire Poor Law Union

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Taxation

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.

References

  1. Lewis, Samuel A. A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 562-566. Adapted. Date accessed: 08 October 2013
  2. Wilson, John M. Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1872)
  3. J.P. Earwaker, Three Lancashire Subsidy Rolls, viz., for the Hundred of Salford, 1541, the Hundred of Salford, 1622 and the Hundred of Leyland, 1628, Together with a Recusant Roll for the Hundred of Leyland, in 1628 (London: Record Society of Lancashire and Cheshire, 1885). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.

 

Need additional research help? Contact our research help specialists.

Need wiki, indexing, or website help? Contact our product teams.


Did you find this article helpful?

You're invited to explain your rating on the discussion page (you must be signed in).