West VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
United States West Virginia
Welcome to West Virginia, Mountain State
The settlement of present-day West Virginia began in the mid-1700s when Scotch-Irish and German settlers from Pennsylvania came to the area that is now Berkeley and Greenbriar counties. Heavy settlement began in the 1760s after Indian claims had been settled. These pioneers were generally from Pennsylvania, Maryland, and other northern states and not from Virginia or other areas east of the mountains.
Did You Know?
- For the missing portions of the 1810 census use Schreiner-Yantis, Netti. A Supplement to the 1810 Census of Virginia: Tax Lists of the Counties for Which the Census is Missing. Springfield, Va: Genealogical Books in Print, 1971. FHL book 975.5 R4s This includes information from Cabell, Greenbrier, Hardy, and Tazewell counties, and 15 Virginia counties that are missing from the 1810 census. Did you know you can find your infamous West Virginia ancestors at West Virginia Blacksheep Ancestors?
- Find which county a town is in, what town a cemetery is in, even where a postoffice or building is by using the United States Geographical Survey's Geographical Names Information System.
- David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures.
- The West Virginia GenWeb Project has a wealth of information and is a part of the larger USGenWeb Project. The USGenWeb Project provides internet information on every county in every state in the United States.
- BYU Research Outline for for West Virginia
- Join a Community of Ohio researchers! Ask questions, help others, and share your research successes on Facebook and/or Skype.
FamilySearch Historical Record Collections
Online collections containing these records are located in FamilySearch.org
Wiki articles describing these collections are found at:
- West Virginia Births and Christenings (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- West Virginia County Birth Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- West Virginia Deaths and Burials (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- West Virginia County Death Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- West Virginia County Marriage Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- West Virginia Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- West Virginia Will Books (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Things You Can Do
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by:
We want your opinion!
Give feedback on two US state pages by clicking on the purple button belowClick Here