| West Virginia Historical Society
- Virginia Historical Society
- 428 North Boulevard
- Richmond, Virginia 23220
Hours: Mon. to Sat. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., closed federal holidays
Public transportation, maps, and directions:
Internet sites and databases:
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
Virginia Historical Society Papers (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Admission to the research library and museum is free.
If you cannot visit or find a record at the West Virginia Historical Society, a similar record may be available at one of the following.
- Family History Library, Salt Lake City, 450 computers, 3,400 databases, 3.1 million microforms, 4,500 periodicals, 310,000 books of worldwide family and local histories, civil, church, immigration, ethnic, military, Mormon records.
- Allen County Public Library (Indiana) has a premier genealogical periodical collection, genealogies, local histories, databases, military, censuses, directories, passenger lists, American Indians, African Americans, Canadians.
- Library of Virginia, digital sources, databases, vital, military, newspapers, periodicals, tax, history, land records.
- National Archives I, Washington DC, census, pre-WWI military service & pensions, passenger lists, naturalizations, passports, federal bounty land, homesteads, bankruptcy, ethnic sources, prisons, and federal employees.
- Daughters of the American Revolution Library, Washington DC, Revolutionary War and colonial period, including family and local histories, cemetery transcriptions, Bible records, 15,000 genealogical membership applications.
- Maryland State Archives, census, court, church, vital, military, probate, land, tax, immigration, naturalizations.