West Woodhay, Berkshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to West Woodhay, Berkshire family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|West Woodhay, Berkshire|
|Poor Law Union||Hungerford PLU|
|Parish registers: 1653|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1612|
|Diocese||Pre-1836 - Salisbury; Post-1835 - Oxford|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire|
|Location of Archive|
|Berkshire Record Office|
WOODHAY, WEST (St. Lawrence), a parish, and formerly a market-town, in the union of Hungerford, hundred of Kintbury-Eagle, county of Berks, 6 miles (S. E.) from Hungerford. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
West Woodhay, Berkshire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BERK = Berkshire Parish Records (FindMyPast) - (£).|
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|West Woodhay, Berkshire Genealogy Online Records|
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241201.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Berkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 654-657. Date accessed: 08 April 2013
- ↑ 'New Berkshire parish records published on findmypast.co.uk,', FindMyPast, accessed 28 January 2014.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Berkshire, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 31 January 2014.
- ↑ 'Berkshire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 27 January 2014.
- ↑ 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 25 April 2014.