What regiment did my ancestor serve in- Officers?Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 22:34, 5 September 2012 by NaisbittRL
RECORDS FOR FINDING OFFICERS' REGIMENT NAME OR NUMBER
- Census records 1841-1911
- Civil Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths (for England & Wales from 1837; for Scotland from 1855; for Ireland from 1864 with Protestant marriages from 1845)
- Homes Sources: especially medals & awards, discharge papers, pension papers, journals, obituaries, old letters
- Army Lists: monthly, annual and the more recent quarterly or half-yearly lists - contain the name, rank, regiment, year of commission to any particular rank of officer. See W.O. 64, 65 & 66.
- Army Lists and Commission Registers: Charles Dalton compiled the commissions of officers from 1661 to 1714.
- Gentleman's Magazine & Index, 1731-1850: Lists many officers' commissions; indexes are at the back of each volume (FHL Book 942 B2gm index).
- Applications for Pensions for Widows and Children 1755-1908: (Foreign Regiments included); W.O. 42, pieces 1-51.
- Militia Attestation Returns: whole military (attachments), 1806-1915; W.O. 96, pieces #1-1522.
- Regimental Registers of births, baptisms, marriages, deaths and burials of soldiers and their families, 1761-1924: (FHL has birth indexes ohnly)
- Chaplain Returns of births, marriages, deaths and burials of soldiers and their families, 1796-1880: FRC, London (FHL has indexes and records)
- Services of Officers on Full Pay: 1828 W.O. 25, pieces #749-779; alphabetical (FHL Book 942 M2sp)
- Services of Officers on Full & Half Pay: 1829, W.O. 25, pieces #780-807; alphabetical
- Returns of Retired Officers' Services on Half Pay: 1847, W.O. 25, pieces #808-823; indexed (FHL Book 942 M23be)
- Registers, Various: Service Returns -- #1 Service Noncommissioned Officers: 1806 (June), W.O. 25, piece #871-1120; indexed.
- Registers, Various: Service Returns -- #3 Discharges (of Noncommissioned Officers): 1783-1810, W.O. 25, pieces #1121-1131; indexed.
- Muster Master Generals' Index of Casualties (officers'): 1797-1817; W.O. 25, pieces 1196-1358
- Regimental Registers of Pensioners: Royal Chelsea Hospital 1717-1857, W.O. 120.