Whitworth, Lancashire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
WHITWORTH, a district chapelry, in the parish and union of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 2¾ miles (N. by W.) from Rochdale. It lies on the road from Rochdale to Burnley. The manor was granted by "divers donators" to the convent of Stanlow in Cheshire, in the reign of John; among these donors was Sir John de Elland, parcener of the lordship of Rochdale, who gave one moiety of the manor. The chapel, which is dedicated to St. Bartholomew, was founded by the principal inhabitants of the township, about the time when Todmorden and Milnrow chapels were built, "an era," observes Dr. Whitaker, "of chapel building." The edifice appears to have been rebuilt in the reign of William and Mary; it was again rebuilt in 1775, and the burial-ground was consecrated twenty years afterwards by Bishop Cleaver. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Mrs. Langton, Mrs. Hornby, and James Starky, Esq.; net income, £256. Twelve children are taught to read for £14. 10. a year, arising from certain cottages bequeathed by James Starky, of Leigh, mercer, in 1724.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 561-564. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51402 Date accessed: 03 August 2010.
Whitworth includes the areas of Healey,_Lancashire, Broadley , Whitworth , Facit and Shawforth .
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Bishop's transcripts for Whitworth, 1776-1851 Microreproduction of original manuscripts housed at the Lancashire Record Office, Preston. Bishop's transcripts of the chapelry of Whitworth (St. Bartholomew) in the township of Spotland, Rochdale parish, Lancashire. Lancashire Record Office: DRM/2/305a-305b
| Baptisms, 1776-1812; baptisms and burials, 1813-1851.
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1545948 Items 1 - 2
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.