Wichita County, KansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Wichita County, Kansas genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Wichita County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Location of Kansas in the U.S.
|Founded||March 6, 1873|
|Address|| Wichita County Courthouse|
206 S. 4th Street
Leoti, Kansas 67861-0279
Wichita County Courthouse
206 S 4th Street
PO Drawer 968
Leoti, KS 67861-0279
Probate Judge has marriage and probate records from 1887 and court records.
City Clerk has death and burial records from 1887.
Clerk District Court has divorce records from 1887.
Register of Deeds has land records from 1885. 
1873--Wichita County was created 6 March 1873 from Indian Lands. County seat: Leoti 
- Sherman County was organized after the Civil War.
Midwest Historical and Genealogical Society has a number of scrapbooks in their library that contain obituaries cut from The Wichita Eagle and Beacon. Site gives an alphabetical listing of names appearing in those scrapbooks for the years 1955-2008.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Wichita County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Witchita County, Kansas page 257, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More