Wiki Project United States wars Tasks- Spanish American War introEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This task is complete. Ignore this page.
The purpose of this task is to insert or modify the explanatory text in the Spanish-American War section on the state Military Records pages.
- 1. Log in to the FamilySearch wiki using your FamilySearch login name and password.
- 2. Open another instance of the FamilySearch Research Wiki, either on another monitor or another tab on the internet browser. This will allow you to view these instructions while editing in the wiki.
- 3. Return to the window with this task page and scroll to the “Instructions” heading.
- 4. Copy the statement below. (To copy: highlight the text by placing the cursor just before the first letter and while holding down the left mouse button, drag the cursor across the desired text. When you stop pressing the left mouse button, the text will be highlighted. Now place the cursor somewhere within the highlighted text and press Ctrl and c simultaneously. Now the text is copied.)
The Spanish-American War was largely fought in Cuba and the Philippines. Spanish-American War records might exist in the state from which the soldier served or in a state where the veteran later resided.
- 5. Return to the window with the other instance of the wiki and navigate to the state Military Records page.
- 6. Scroll down to the “Spanish-American War (1898)” heading and click on the “Edit” button to the right of that heading. (When you hover the mouse over the picture of the pen in a square, the word “Edit” appears. Click on the picture of the pen.)
- 7. Review the explanatory text that appears under that heading.
- a. If there is none, place the cursor at the end of the heading and press “Enter.”
- ’’’b.’’’ Paste the statement that you copied in step 4. (To paste: place the cursor where you want the text to be inserted, then press Ctrl and v simultaneously. A small screen will appear. Click in this window and press Ctrl and v simultaneously again. Then select “OK.” The text should now be pasted.)
- c. If text already exists, modify it using the above statement while maintaining the important information that is already present.
- 8. Enter a brief explanation in the Summary field (example: added explanatory text to Spanish American War).
- 9. Save the page and exit. The task is complete. Initial the appropriate cell in the Progress Chart.
After completing this task for one state, you do not need to repeat steps 1 through 4 when you perform the task for subsequent states (as long as you haven't logged out of the wiki or "copied" new text).
Hint: Quickly navigate from one state Military Records page to another by selecting the name of the state from the “State Military Records” navigation box found at the bottom of each state’s Military Records page.
Complete heading example
Spanish-American War (1898)
The Spanish-American War was largely fought in Cuba and the Philippines. Spanish-American War records might exist in the state from which the soldier served or in a state where the veteran later resided. Indexes
- United States, General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934 (NARA T288). (FamilySearch) Free digital copy. The "General Index to Pension Files, 1861–1934". The index covers veterans of the Civil War, Spanish‑American War, Philippine Insurrection, Boxer Rebellion (1900 to 1901), and the regular Army, Navy, and Marine forces. (Learn more.)
- United States, Index to Service Records, War with Spain, 1898 (FamilySearch) Free digital copy. (Learn more.)
Click on the link to learn more about the Spanish American War.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback