Wiki tools for researchEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Wiki tools for research
Notifications of Page Changes - Watch
When you are researching in, for example, Albany, New York, there are a few pages you should "Watch" by clicking Watch in the up:
- Albany, New York
- New York (and see the Topics section for other pages of interest to watch)
- New York Digital Collections
This will send you an email each time the page is edited, and that will allow you to be updated when new resources are added to this page.
Wiki Categories, or Topics, allow you to view articles that are related for more information. Some categories have very little, some have a lot. The ones that have the most information are:
Are there pieces missing that would make an article be more complete? Add a note to the Discussion (or "Talk") Page to ask a question or request Wiki Contributors add information to that page. To add a note:
- Click on the Discussion tab in the upper left to get to the Discussion page.
- Click to Edit this Page (you will have to Sign in with a FamilySearcha ccount).
Your User Page
The User Page is where you have the opportunity to share information about yourself, or your research interests. This is a great way to get to know a little about a contributor to an article, or even find someone with the same interests. It also gives other users a way to communicate with you.
- Note the 4 purple boxes on the right side of this page (Views, Toolbox, Community, Personal tools). This is knows as the "Navigation Bar" or "Nav Bar".
- Personal Tools gives you links for your User page, your Talk page, and your Watchlist.
- Community includes the Wiki Home link, though most links are for wiki editors.
- Learn more about these menus and how to use them.
Learn more about ...