Wilby, Suffolk

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(Parish History: restored deleted geographic map)
(restored Hoxne hundred link)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[England|<references />England]]&nbsp; [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]&nbsp; [[Suffolk]] &nbsp; [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]&nbsp; [[Suffolk Parishes]]&nbsp;[[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]&nbsp;Wilby  
+
[[England|<references />England]]&nbsp; [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]&nbsp; [[Suffolk]] &nbsp; [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]&nbsp;[[Hoxne Hundred, Suffolk|Hoxne Hundred]]&nbsp;[[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]&nbsp;  [[Suffolk Parishes]]&nbsp;[[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]&nbsp;Wilby  
 
__NOTOC__<!-- The tag __TOC__ allows one to move the contents box anywhere on the page. The Tag __NOTOC__ removes the contents box from the page-->
 
__NOTOC__<!-- The tag __TOC__ allows one to move the contents box anywhere on the page. The Tag __NOTOC__ removes the contents box from the page-->
 
 
== Parish History  ==
 
== Parish History  ==
 
 
WILBY, a neat village, 1 1/2 mile S.S.E. of Stradbroke, and 6 miles N.N.W. of Framlingham, has in its parish 620 souls, and 1846a. 1r. 20p. of land. T. G. Corbett, Esq., of Elsham Hall, Lincolnshire, is lord of the manor of Wilby-with Shelton Hall, but the soil belongs to various free and copyholders, the latter subject to arbitrary fines. The largest owners are the Rev. T. B. Stane (lord of a small manor called Russells,) Sir R. S. Adair,Lord Henniker, Sir E. C. Kerrison, and the Collinson, Burch, Green, Smith, and Wilkinson families. The Nevils and Wingfields were anciently owners of most of the parish. The Church (St Mary) is a handsome structure, with a tower and six bells; and in its windows are some beautiful fragments of stained glass. The south porch is highly enriched, and the architecture of the whole fabric is much admired. The benefice is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £26. 6s. 10d......  [[Suffolk_Gazetteers|William White, 1855, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Suffolk]], page 401-402
 
WILBY, a neat village, 1 1/2 mile S.S.E. of Stradbroke, and 6 miles N.N.W. of Framlingham, has in its parish 620 souls, and 1846a. 1r. 20p. of land. T. G. Corbett, Esq., of Elsham Hall, Lincolnshire, is lord of the manor of Wilby-with Shelton Hall, but the soil belongs to various free and copyholders, the latter subject to arbitrary fines. The largest owners are the Rev. T. B. Stane (lord of a small manor called Russells,) Sir R. S. Adair,Lord Henniker, Sir E. C. Kerrison, and the Collinson, Burch, Green, Smith, and Wilkinson families. The Nevils and Wingfields were anciently owners of most of the parish. The Church (St Mary) is a handsome structure, with a tower and six bells; and in its windows are some beautiful fragments of stained glass. The south porch is highly enriched, and the architecture of the whole fabric is much admired. The benefice is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £26. 6s. 10d......  [[Suffolk_Gazetteers|William White, 1855, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Suffolk]], page 401-402
  

Revision as of 19:50, 26 January 2013

England  Gotoarrow.png  Suffolk   Gotoarrow.png Hoxne Hundred Gotoarrow.png  Suffolk Parishes Gotoarrow.png Wilby

Parish History

WILBY, a neat village, 1 1/2 mile S.S.E. of Stradbroke, and 6 miles N.N.W. of Framlingham, has in its parish 620 souls, and 1846a. 1r. 20p. of land. T. G. Corbett, Esq., of Elsham Hall, Lincolnshire, is lord of the manor of Wilby-with Shelton Hall, but the soil belongs to various free and copyholders, the latter subject to arbitrary fines. The largest owners are the Rev. T. B. Stane (lord of a small manor called Russells,) Sir R. S. Adair,Lord Henniker, Sir E. C. Kerrison, and the Collinson, Burch, Green, Smith, and Wilkinson families. The Nevils and Wingfields were anciently owners of most of the parish. The Church (St Mary) is a handsome structure, with a tower and six bells; and in its windows are some beautiful fragments of stained glass. The south porch is highly enriched, and the architecture of the whole fabric is much admired. The benefice is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £26. 6s. 10d...... William White, 1855, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Suffolk, page 401-402

Resources

If you live in Suffolk you will have access to a variety of resources at local archives and libraries; however , for those who live further afield, one can access microfilm and online records at Family History Centers.   Refer to Wilby and Suffolk in the Family History Library Catalog for available records.

Civil Registration

Wilby is in Hoxne district. To search an index of Hoxne district records go to FreeBMD. The Suffolk Civil Registration article tells more about these records.

Church records

The Parish Registers begin in 1538. They can be view at the Suffolk Record Office. A copy of the registers from 1538 to 1900 can be purchased from the Suffolk Record Office. For pre 1813 Bishop Transcript entries you will need to look in Hoxne Deanry, Archdeaconry of Suffolk. Parish Chest records are lacking for Wilby. See Suffolk Church Records for further details.

Census records

There are census records available for Wilby from 1841 to 1911. Census records are available on a variety of subscription and other websites. If you need to consult the 1841 to 1891 census on microfilm, refer to Wilby census film numbers in the library catalogue.
There is statistical data available for the census years 1801 to 1931 that records the number of houses, families, people, and other statistical data for every parish in the county.
Refer to the Suffolk Census wiki article for details.

Probate records

Prior to 1858 the primary court that had jurisdiction over Wilby was the Archdeaconry of Suffolk; however, a person’s will or administration may have been probated in nearby courts or even in London. After 1858 it was in Ipswich District.  Refer to the Suffolk Probate Records article for further details.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Reference

  1. Lewis,Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 575-577.