Winnebago Indian Agency (Minnesota)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Indians of North America-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The heading "Winnebago" was not used retularly for the correspondence relating to the principal agency for the Wennebago Indians until 1847. The correspondence dated before 1830 relates to Winnebago Indians rather than to the arrairs of any one agency. The letters from 1840 to 1836 relate primarily to two subagencies for the Winnebago Indians that operated independently of the main agency at Prairie du Chien.
Fort Winnebago Subagency Subagents
John H. Kinzie 1828, Robert A. McCabe 1833
Rock River Subagency Subagents
Henry Gratiot 1831, Thomas A.B. Boyd 1837, David Lowry 1839, James McGregor 1844, Jonathan E. Fletcher 1845.
Winnebago Agents and Appointment Dates
Jonathan E. Fletcher 1848, Abram M. Fridley 1850, Jonahtah E. Fletcher 1848, Abram M. Findley 1850, Jonathan E. Fletcher 1853,Charles H. Mix 1858, St. A. D. Balcombe 1861, Charles Mathewson 1865, George W. Wilkinson 1869, Howard White 1875.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback