Wisconsin GazetteersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Gazetteers list geographical names, such as towns, settlements, villages, districts, rivers, and mountains, and sometimes, provide historical information about the locations.
Several gazetteers of Wisconsin have been published:
- Hale, James B.W. Wisconsin Post Office Handbook. Revised ed. (Not available at the Family History Library.) Available from the Wisconsin Postal History Society, 5401 Raymond Rd., Madison, WI 53711.
- Hunt, John Warren. Wisconsin Gazetteer. Madison, Wisconsin: B. Brown, 1853. (Family History Library book 977.5 E5h; film 897468; fiche 6051150), Google Books, University of Michigan Digital Collection
- Moertl, Frank. Wisconsin: Its Territorial and Statehood Post Offices, 1993. (Not available at the Family History Library.) Available from the Wisconsin Postal History Society, see above. This has detailed maps and descriptions showing the location of each post office.
- Wisconsin Gazetteer. Wilmington, Delaware: American Historical Publications, 1991. (Family History Library book 977.5 E5w.)
For river landings, see:
- Adams, Louis A. Adam's Directory of Points and Landings on Rivers and Bayous in the States of Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Iowa, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin. New Orleans: W. L. Murray, 1877. Digital version at Internet Archive.
Family History Library Collection
Gazetteers can be found for states, counties and local geographic areas.
Copies of records on FHL microfilm and microfiche can be ordered for viewing at Family History Centers. Also find Wisconsin gazetteers available at other libraries through [WorldCat Online Catalog|WorldCat].