Wisconsin PeriodicalsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Most family history periodicals publish transcriptions of local sources used in genealogical research. Information published in periodicals may include family histories, genealogies, historical background, maps, information about local records and archives, queries, census indexes, transcripts of family Bibles, church records, court records, cemetery records, land records, military records, obituaries, and wills. Often published by genealogical or historical societies, they typically focus on the records of a particular county, while a few may specialize in records of a particular ethnic group or religion. Among the periodicals at the Family History Library are:
Many family history periodicals publish local records of genealogical value. These may include genealogies; information about local records and archives; queries; census indexes; and transcripts of family Bibles, church records, court records, cemetery records, land records, obituaries, and wills.
The major periodicals and magazines helpful for Wisconsin research include:
- Wisconsin State Genealogical Society Newsletter. 1954–. Published by the Society, P.O. Box 5106, Madison, WI 53705-0106. (Family History Library book 977.5 B2n.) There is a cumulative index to 1963.
- Wisconsin Families Quarterly of the Wisconsin Genealogical Society. 1940–41. Published by the Wisconsin Genealogical Society. (Family History Library book 977.5 D25w; film 873820 item 2.)
- M.C.G.S. Reporter. 1969–. Published by the Milwaukee County Genealogical Society, Inc., P.O. Box 27326, Milwaukee, WI 53227-0326. (Family History Library book 977.594 D25mc.)
- Genealogical Gems. 1982–. Published by the Fox Valley Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1592, Appleton, WI 54913-1592. (Family History Library book 977.5 D25g.)
- La Crosse Area Genealogical Quarterly. 1974–. Published by the La Crosse Area Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1782, La Crosse, WI 54602-1782. (Family History Library book 977.571 D25L.)
- Wisconsin Magazine of History - The complete collection from 1917 to the present has been digitized and place online at the Wisconsin Historical Society website. The Family History Library has indexes for volumes 1–75 which cover the issues to 1991. Microfilms of this magazine are available from University Microfilms, Ann Arbor, Michigan at http://www.hvcn.org/info/gswc/library/libumgrad.htm.
- Korzenie/Roots/Polish Genealogical Society of Wisconsin. 1989–. Polish Genealogical Society of Wisconsin, P.O. Box 342341, Milwaukee, WI 53234-2341; semi-annual. (Family History Library book 977.5 D25k.)
- Family Finding: a quarterly newsletter of the Wisconsin Jewish Genealogical Society. 1990–. Published by the Society, c/o Penny Deshur, 9280 N. Fairway Drive, Milwaukee, WI 53217; quarterly. (Family History Library book 977.5 D25fa.)
- Wisconsin Then and Now/. Madison, WI: State Historical Society of Wisconsin. 1954–1979; quarterly. (Family History Library book 977.5 B2wt.)
- Gems of Genealogy. 1975–. Bay Area Genealogical Society; P.O. Box 283, Green Bay, WI 54305-0283; bi-monthly. (Family History Library book 977.5 D25gg.)
- French Canadian/Acadian Genealogists of Wisconsin Quarterly. 1987–. French Canadian Genealogists of Wisconsin, P.O. Box 414, Hales Corners, WI 53130; Tel. 414-786-6408. Quarterly. (Family History Library 977.5 D25f.) The quarterly includes lists of surnames being researched by members.
Indexes. The periodicals listed above may have annual indexes in the final issue for the year. For nationwide indexes to some of these and other family history periodicals, see:
- PERiodical Source Index (PERSI). Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1987–. (Family History Library book 973 D25per; 1847–1985 on fiche 6016863 [40 fiche]; 1986–1990 on fiche 6016864 [15 fiche].) Indexes thousands of family history periodicals. Annual indexes have been published yearly since 1986. For further details, see the PERiodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119).
Once you locate an article in a periodical, check the Family History Library catalog and regional or local libraries for available copies.
Periodicals can be found on state, county and local levels. The Family History Library has many collected periodicals. These can be found by using Place-name Search or a Title Search of the Family History Library catalog. Some periodicals may be found with a Keyword Search for the publishing society name.Societies may be also be found on state, county or local levels.
Copies of records on FHL microfilm and microfiche can be ordered for viewing at Family History Centers. Also find Wisconsin Periodical resources available at other libraries (WorldCat). As with the FHLC search, search WorldCat using society names, locality names, and periodical title names. Learn more about how to search WorldCat and the FHLC.
For more family history periodicals, look in the Locality Search of the Family History Library Catalog under:
WISCONSIN- GENEALOGY- PERIODICALS
WISCONSIN- SOCIETIES- PERIODICALS
WISCONSIN, [COUNTY]- PERIODICALS
WISCONSIN, [COUNTY]- GENEALOGY- PERIODICALS
WISCONSIN, [COUNTY]- SOCIETIES- PERIODICALS