Wittenberg Indian SchoolEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Wittenberg School was established in 1886 by the Norwegian Evangelical Church of America. It was transferred to government oversight in 1895 and continued to operate under their supervision until 1 October 1917, when its students were transferred to Oneida. In 1899, Wittenberg had 140 students and 4 staff.
Administrative records of Wittenberg School are included in the holdings of the Great Lakes Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration in Chicago. Among these records are rosters of employees of the school for 1895-1909, but no pupil files are mentioned in their inventory of records.
Microfilm copies of ...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the Wittenberg School, 1907-1917, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, Roll 170, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City (their microfilm number 1724388).
Wittenberg School records 1905,1910 FHL Film 583130
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.
Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives.
Wisconsin Historical Society. Dictionary of Wisconsin History.