Witton, Lancashire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
WITTON, a township with a district chapel, in the parish, union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 2 miles west by northwest from Blackburn. The district church, dedicated to St. Mark, was built in 1840.
Church of England
Witton chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Blackburn St Mary to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk project|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk|
|FREG = FreeReg|
|WITTON ST PHILIP Chapelry (1881) Indexes|
|BLACKBURN ST MARY THE VIRGIN PARISH (1600) Indexes (ancient parish containing WITTON Chapelry)|
|LOPC||1600-1611, 1614-1628, 1653-1848, 1854-1881||1600-1680, 1698-1705, 1722-1900||1651-1652, 1746-1900|
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Witton and comprising the whole ancient parish of Blackburn to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the BLACKBURN ST MARY PARISH page.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306890.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..