Worsthorne, Lancashire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Worsthorne St John was created a chapelry in 1837 from, and lying within the parochial chapelry of Burnley St Peter, Lancashire, and lying within boundaries of Whalley ancient parish. Other places in the parish include: Hurstwood.
The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.
"WORSTHORN, a township, in the parochial chapelry and poor-law union of Burnley, parish of Whalley, Higherdivision of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of Lancashire, 2¼ miles (E.) from Burnley; containing 817 inhabitants. Worsthorn, or Wrdest, belonged to Henry de Wrdest in the reign of Stephen or Henry II.; and was granted in that of Edward II., by Henry de Lacy, to the Stansfield family. It afterwards became the property of the Halsteads, a branch from High Halstead: the House bears the date 1593. Hurstwood is a hamlet in the township. Hurstwood Hall, a well-built mansion, has in front the name of "Barnard Townley," who died in 1602. The estate attached to it eventually passed to Richard Chamberlain, by whose representative it was sold to William Sutcliffe, Esq., of Burnley and Leeds: in 1803 it was sold to Charles Townley, Esq. The township lies on the borders of Yorkshire, and comprises 2127 acres. On Worsthorn moor are some valuable flag and slate quarries, principally belonging to C. Townley, Esq., and leased to Messrs. Thomas and Benjamin Chaffer, who have large depots in Manchester and Liverpool: the stone obtained from them has been used in many public and other buildings both at home and in the colonies. The common itself is now being inclosed. The foundation stone of a district church was laid in Sept. 1834, and the church was consecrated in Sept. 1835; it is dedicated to St. John, and contains 650 sittings, 450 of which are free. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Hulme's Trustees; net income, £150."
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 687-692. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51431 Date accessed: 03 August 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.