Wysox, PennsylvaniaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Wysox Township is located within the central region of the County. It is bound in the north by Rome Township to the northeast by Orwell and Herrick Township, to the east by Standing Stone Township, to the south by Asylum Township, to the southwest by Towanda Township and Borough, and to the northwest by Sheshequin Township. The Susquehanna River serves as the Townships south boundary between Asylum Township. There are several other streams that flow through the Township which include: Wysox Creek, Laning Creek, Hollow Run, Dry Run, and Vought Creek. The major thoroughfares in the Township include: State Route 187, US Route 6, and Mercur Hill Road.
The Township of Wysox was established in 1795 from Tioga Township. The name is derived from old Native American words that include: “Wisachgimi” meaning, “place of grapes” and “Wy-sauk” meaning, “canoe harbor.” The Township saw its first settler arrive in 1776, by the name of Sebastian Strope. Isaac Strope taught the first school in 1790. One decade later Theopolis Moyer built the first framed house. The Township went through a series of land divisions between 1801 and 1841 that split to form the following townships: Rush, Burlington, Athens, Ulster, Towanda, Rome, and Standing Stone.
- This page was last modified on 19 May 2011, at 22:33.
- This page has been accessed 547 times.