Yealand Conyers, Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m (Text replace - 'Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in th)
m (Text replace - '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''' to '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''')
Line 15: Line 15:
 
"YEALAND-CONYERS, a township, in the parish of Warton, union of Lancaster, hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, N. division of Lancashire, 2¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Burton-in-Kendal; containing 322 inhabitants. Anciently, Yealand-Conyers and Yealand-Redmayne appear to have formed one district. In the Testa de Neville it is stated, that "Mathew de Redeman and Robert de Kemyers, or Cynyers, held the eighth part of a knight's fee in Yeland, of the fee of William de Lancaster, the king's tenant in chief;" hence the origin of the additions to the name. The Conyers and Redmayne families were long connected with Yealand; and subsequently the Crofts, among others, held the manor of Yealand-Conyers. The township comprises 1464 acres; it is situated in a district abounding with interesting and varied scenery, and the immediate vicinity is enlivened with numerous handsome seats and pleasant villas. A church, dedicated to St. John, was built in 1838, and a district has been assigned to it comprising all Yealand; it is in the early English style, with a tower. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of Hyndman's Trustees; net income, £57, with a house. The Society of Friends have a place of worship, with a school attached; and there is a Roman Catholic chapel, of which the priest has an endowment of £130 per annum, with a residence. A national school, built in 1841, is supported by subscription; and another school has an endowment of £9 a year, left by Thomas Widows."  
 
"YEALAND-CONYERS, a township, in the parish of Warton, union of Lancaster, hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, N. division of Lancashire, 2¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Burton-in-Kendal; containing 322 inhabitants. Anciently, Yealand-Conyers and Yealand-Redmayne appear to have formed one district. In the Testa de Neville it is stated, that "Mathew de Redeman and Robert de Kemyers, or Cynyers, held the eighth part of a knight's fee in Yeland, of the fee of William de Lancaster, the king's tenant in chief;" hence the origin of the additions to the name. The Conyers and Redmayne families were long connected with Yealand; and subsequently the Crofts, among others, held the manor of Yealand-Conyers. The township comprises 1464 acres; it is situated in a district abounding with interesting and varied scenery, and the immediate vicinity is enlivened with numerous handsome seats and pleasant villas. A church, dedicated to St. John, was built in 1838, and a district has been assigned to it comprising all Yealand; it is in the early English style, with a tower. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of Hyndman's Trustees; net income, £57, with a house. The Society of Friends have a place of worship, with a school attached; and there is a Roman Catholic chapel, of which the priest has an endowment of £130 per annum, with a residence. A national school, built in 1841, is supported by subscription; and another school has an endowment of £9 a year, left by Thomas Widows."  
  
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 716-719. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51437 Date accessed: 03 August 2010.
+
From: ''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 716-719. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51437 Date accessed: 03 August 2010.
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==

Revision as of 14:21, 11 February 2012

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Yealand Conyers St Mary

Contents

Chapelry History

Yealand Conyers St Mary was district chapelry created by 1839 from, and lying within the boundaries of Warton (near Lancaster), Lancashire Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Yealand Redmayne. Yealand Redmayne is a village and civil parish in the English county of Lancashire. It is in the City of Lancaster district.

The civil parish also includes Slack Head. It is north of Lancaster
and near the county border.

The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.


"YEALAND-CONYERS, a township, in the parish of Warton, union of Lancaster, hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, N. division of Lancashire, 2¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Burton-in-Kendal; containing 322 inhabitants. Anciently, Yealand-Conyers and Yealand-Redmayne appear to have formed one district. In the Testa de Neville it is stated, that "Mathew de Redeman and Robert de Kemyers, or Cynyers, held the eighth part of a knight's fee in Yeland, of the fee of William de Lancaster, the king's tenant in chief;" hence the origin of the additions to the name. The Conyers and Redmayne families were long connected with Yealand; and subsequently the Crofts, among others, held the manor of Yealand-Conyers. The township comprises 1464 acres; it is situated in a district abounding with interesting and varied scenery, and the immediate vicinity is enlivened with numerous handsome seats and pleasant villas. A church, dedicated to St. John, was built in 1838, and a district has been assigned to it comprising all Yealand; it is in the early English style, with a tower. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of Hyndman's Trustees; net income, £57, with a house. The Society of Friends have a place of worship, with a school attached; and there is a Roman Catholic chapel, of which the priest has an endowment of £130 per annum, with a residence. A national school, built in 1841, is supported by subscription; and another school has an endowment of £9 a year, left by Thomas Widows."

From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 716-719. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51437 Date accessed: 03 August 2010.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Lancashire Online Parish Clerks

An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/


Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census

Poor Law Unions

Lancaster Poor Law Union,Lancashire

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.