Yealand Conyers, LancashireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Yealand Conyers St Mary is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1846 from Warton (near Lancaster), Lancashire Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Yealand Redmayne. Yealand Redmayne is a village and civil parish in the English county of Lancashire. It is in the City of Lancaster district.
The civil parish also includes Slack Head. It is north of Lancaster
and near the county border.
The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.
YEALAND-CONYERS, a township, in the parish of Warton, union of Lancaster, hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, N. division of Lancashire, 2¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Burton-in-Kendal; containing 322 inhabitants. Anciently, Yealand-Conyers and Yealand-Redmayne appear to have formed one district. In the Testa de Neville it is stated, that "Mathew de Redeman and Robert de Kemyers, or Cynyers, held the eighth part of a knight's fee in Yeland, of the fee of William de Lancaster, the king's tenant in chief;" hence the origin of the additions to the name. The Conyers and Redmayne families were long connected with Yealand; and subsequently the Crofts, among others, held the manor of Yealand-Conyers. The township comprises 1464 acres; it is situated in a district abounding with interesting and varied scenery, and the immediate vicinity is enlivened with numerous handsome seats and pleasant villas. A church, dedicated to St. John, was built in 1838, and a district has been assigned to it comprising all Yealand; it is in the early English style, with a tower. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of Hyndman's Trustees; net income, £57, with a house. The Society of Friends have a place of worship, with a school attached; and there is a Roman Catholic chapel, of which the priest has an endowment of £130 per annum, with a residence. A national school, built in 1841, is supported by subscription; and another school has an endowment of £9 a year, left by Thomas Widows.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 716-719. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51437 Date accessed: 03 August 2010.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire_BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback