Yohogania County, Virginia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Yohogania County, Virginia genealogy and family history research page. Guide to Yohogania County (1776-1786) genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including marriage records, wills, deeds and land records, Revolutionary War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, and newspapers.
Because Yohogania County was discontinued, it has no existing courthouse. For records, see ...
1776--Yohogania County was created in 1776 from Augusta County.
1786--Discontinued, land ceded to Pennsylvania
The 10,000 name petition (dated 16 October 1776) has been digitized at the Library of Congress website. It was signed by people from all over Virginia who wanted an end to persecution of Baptists by the Established Church. Baptists and Baptist sympathizers alike signed the petition. To find your ancestor in this record, first check Hall's transcription in the Magazine of Virginia Genealogy (Vols. 35-38, with annotations in Vol. 39), which is available online at Ancestry ($). It is also available in book form at the Family History Library: FHL Book 975.5 B2vs v. 35-39. Then proceed to the Library of Congress website to see the original images.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Beeler] Pappas, Carolyn H. "Christopher Beeler, 1705-1775," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 43, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1999):243-255; Vol. 44, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2000):18-30; Vol. 44, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2000):115-125. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg.
- [Beeler] Pappas, Carolyn H. "Christopher Beeler's Second Wife," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 49, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2005):156-157. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg.
- [Duncan] Dobson, Mary Ann Duncan. Duncan Research Files of Mary Ann (Duncan) Dobson. MSS. 1975-1999. FHL Film 795593 Item 2 Includes Yohogania County Duncans.
- [Pentecost] Pappas, Carolyn H. "Christopher Beeler, 1705-1775," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 43, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1999):243-255; Vol. 44, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2000):18-30; Vol. 44, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2000):115-125. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg.
- [Rogers] Rogers, Lon B. "Colonel James Rogers (1742--1828) Nelson County Pioneer," The Kentucky Genealogist, Vol. 3, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1961):3-6.
- [Ross] Jobson, Robert C. "The Ross Family of Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Kentucky," The Kentucky Genealogist, Vol. 25, No. 2 (April/June 1983):69-71. FHL Collection 976.9 B2kg v. 25 (1983)
Regiments. Service men in Yohogania County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Yohogania County supplied soldiers for the:
- ↑ E.M. Sanchez-Saavedra, A Guide to Virginia Military Organizations in the American Revolution, 1774-1787 (Richmond, Va.: Virginia State Library, 1978), 69. FHL Book 975.5 M2s.