York County, Maine GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to York County Maine genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|York County, Maine|
Location in the state of Maine
|Founded||June 25, 1789|
|Address|| York County Courthouse|
45 Kennebank Road;
Alfred, ME 04002
York County Website
Town Clerks have birth, marriage, death and burial records.
Clerk Court has divorce and court records.
Register of Probate has death and probate records from 1637.
Register of Deeds has land records from 1636. 
- History of York County, Maine. With illustrations and biographical sketches of its prominent men and pioneers (1880) By W. Woodford Clayton. ebook at Internet Archive
Places / Localities
Extinct Town: Isles of Shoals
- Bald Head
- Cape Porpoise
- York Cliffs
- Biographical review : this volume contains biographical sketches of leading citizens of York County, Maine
- History of York County, Maine : with illustrations and biographical sketches of its prominent men and pioneers
- Inscriptions from some homestead cemeteries and other burial places in Strafford County in and around Dover, N.H., and a few from the adjoining county of York, Me
- Maine cemetery inscriptions, York County
- York County cemeteries
- York County graveyards
- Index to the York County, Maine 1860 census
- York County, Maine, mortality schedules, U.S. census 1850, 1860, 1870
- 1904 Transcription - only Kennebunkport
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Maine denominations, view the Maine Church Records wiki page.
- Copy of record of persons baptized, marriages solemnized, and funerals attended by the late Isaac Lord, Jr., of the Maine conference Methodist Episcopal Chirch [i.e. Church from 1827 to 1884; also data regarding the Lord and Curtis families [1778-1924]]
- Marriages (1784-1831) in Hollis, Lyman, Kennebunkport and adjoining towns of York County, Me.
- Maine, York County, Court of Common Pleas, 1695-1800
- Maine, York County, record of the courts, 1636-1852
- Maine, York County, Supreme Judical Court records, 1798-1929
- Maine, York County, Supreme Judical Court, equity records, 1913-1918
- Joseph Carlile of York, Maine (York and Lincoln County descendants) and the antiquity of the Carlyle name
- Piscataqua Pioneers : Register of members and ancestors, 1623-1775
- Piscataqua pioneers, 1623-1775 : register of members and ancestors 1905 - 1981
- A report of the proceedings at the celebration of the first centennial anniversary of the incorporation of the town of Buxton, Maine, held at Buxton, Aug. 14, 1872 : being a full account of the exercises of the day
- FHL Collection
Local histories are available for York County, Maine Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Maine Local Histories.
- Among the Isles of Shoals
- The Isles of Shoals : an historic sketch
- Ten miles out : guide book to the Isles of Shoals, Portsmouth, New Hampshire
- History of the grange in York County : comprising a history of each subordinate grange : a history of York Pomona Grange from its organization to 1921 with sketches of the Pomona masters
- The King's Highway from Portland to Kittery : stagecoach and tavern days on the Old Post Road
- Maine place names : and the peopling of it's towns : York
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Maine Land and Property for additional information about early Maine land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- York County, Maine land ownership map, 1856
- Abstracts from the unpublished deeds of York County, Maine, volumes 19-39, 1733-1800
- Deeds, 1642-1904; index to deeds, 1647-1905
Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Portsmouth,NH newspapers from the early 1900's covering local news that included residents from York County communities.
Finding More Maine Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as York County, Maine Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Naturalization and Citizenship
Obituaries - Indexes
- Estate files, ca. 1690-1917
- Probate bonds, 1843-1868
- Probate records, 1687-1938; index to probate records, 1687-1900
- FHL Collection
Maine tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
In Maine, vital records are kept by town clerks or selectmen. Although some towns have existed since the 1650s, most vital records date from about 1700. The vital statistics are often arranged by family. For more information, see the Wiki page for the town and the Wiki page, Maine Vital Records.
- Maine, 1743-1891 Indexes
- Baptismal, marriage and funeral records of Rev. Albert Cole (1818-1881) of Cornish, Maine
- Marriage returns of York County, Maine : prior to 1892
- York County, Maine, marriage returns, 1771-1794
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The York County MEGenWeb Project, an member of The MEGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for York County
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for York County (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for York County
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), York County, Maine page 305, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
|This Maine-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.