ZimbabweEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Zimbabwe is located in southern Africa between South Africa and Zambia. The UK annexed Southern Rhodesia from the [British] South Africa Company in 1923. A 1961 constitution was formulated that favored whites in power. In 1965 the government unilaterally declared its independence, but the UK did not recognize the act and demanded more complete voting rights for the black African majority in the country (then called Rhodesia). UN sanctions and a guerrilla uprising finally led to free elections in 1979 and independence (as Zimbabwe) in 1980.
Getting started with Zimbabwe research
(Your text or images here.)
Jurisdictions in Zimbabwe
- African Genealogy Databases
- adoptionregistry, adoptee and birth parent registry
- CousinConnect, message board on Zimbabwe- some activity
- Gedcomindex, website of gedcom files on the internet by country
- Genealogical Society of South Africa - cemetery records in Zimbabwe, various cemeteries, photos and transcriptions
- Jewishgen (cemeteries, not limited to Jewish)
- Kindred Trails - listing of on-line resources for Zimbabwe
- Rootsweb, message board on Zimbabwe- some activity
- Umtali deaths, listing of deaths, some military and others.
- WorldGenWeb, good general Zimbabwe site
- Zimbabwe Jewish Community, cemetery images and transcriptions, marriage records
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
Help Wanted (or other title)
(For example, help wanted list of activities for your users)
(Your text or images here, or use the table below:)
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback