Attention: This site does not support the current version of your web browser. To get the best possible experience using our website we recommend that you upgrade to a newer version or install another browser


ISRAEL EVANS - U.S. MORMON BATTALION Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia Volume 4 Evans, Israel, a member of the Mormon Battalion, Company B, was born Oct. 2, 1828, at Hanover, Columbiana Co., Ohio, a son of David Evans and Mary Beck. He was baptized when eight years old in Missouri, was at the Haun's Mill Massacre in Missouri Oct. 30, 1838, his mother and himself hiding in the underbrush. He enlisted as a private in Company B of the Mormon Battalion July 16, 1846, and marched overland te California. After disbanding he went to work at Sutter's Mill, where gold was discovered, worked long enough to enable him te return to Utah, and arrived in Great Salt Lake City Oct. 1, 1848. He married Matilda A. Thomas Jan. 1, 1849, settled in Lehi, Utah, filled a mission to England in 1853-1857, and on his return had charge of the Israel Evans handcart company, consisting of 31 handcarts and 134 souls. He was mayor of Lehi one term, and a member of the city council. He died May 31, 1896, in Lehi, respected by all who knew him. Our Pioneer Heritage Volume 1 They Came in 1857 The Israel Evans Company Israel Evans, the son of David and Mary Beck Evans, was born in Columbus County, Ohio, October 2, 1828, the second child of a family of seven. When he was about four years of age his parents were baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and from then on the history of all members of the family was closely associated with the events of Church history. Israel's early life was a life of migration. The family moved from Ohio to Missouri; thence to Illinois and here his mother passed away. In 1846 the Evans family moved to Council Bluffs and Israel, then eighteen years of age, became a member of the Mormon Battalion and marched through to California. He was one of the men present when gold was discovered at Sutter's Mill. Israel Evans served in Company B under the command of Sgts. William Corray and William Hyde. (Ezra Allen, and William and Melissa Coray were among those who headed to northern California. They stopped in Monterey and Melissa had her baby named William Oct 2, 1847. The baby William died shortly thereafter. Up in San Francisco, the Latter-day Saints from the ship Brooklyn had started San Francisco's first school, first bank, and first post office. They put out the first edition of the California Star on Jan 7, 1847. About 80 former members of the Mormon Battalion stopped at Sutter's Fort to work on a saw mill and various projects. Journal entries of two of the men recorded the first discovery of gold Monday, January 24, 1848 by James W. Marshall, the mill boss. Pvt William Sidney Wills Company B, and Pvt Wilford Heath Hudson Company A, found more gold on a sand bar in the American River that became known as Mormon Island. Several members of the Mormon Battalion were hired to carry copies of the California Star relating the gold strike, back to the eastern cities such as St. Louis, Baltimore and New York. Most of the workers left for the gold fields, but the Mormon battalion members stayed and completed the Sutter mill project. That finished, they loaded supplies into wagons and started east for Salt Lake City. On this crossing of the Northern Sierra Nevadas the Mormon Battalion blazed the trail that hoards of gold seekers would follow the next year. This was the highest mountain wagon route to be created in the United States. Pvt Henry William Bigler Company A, and two companions set up a staging area at Pleasant Valley June 17, 1848. Sgt Daniel Browett Company E, musician Ezra Allen Company C, and Pvt Henderson Cox Company A, set out to scout a trail to Carson Pass and never returned. Melissa Coray was the only woman with the 45 man group at this time. July 19, 1848 the main group found the three bodies of their murdered scouts. Melissa wrote, "In all my journey with the Battalion, this was the worst night." They named the place Trajedy Spring and buried their friends. At a mile a day, they would build fires on the stones which would soften them enough to break them into small stones. After 4 or 5 fires they had a good road bed. Melissa, William, and companions reached Salt Lake City on Oct 6, 1848. William Coray was stricken with Tuberculosis, but lived long enough to see his daughter Melissa born in February 6, 1849. --vern taylor.) ******************************************************************* “ . . .A meeting was held by the ex-soldiers at Sutter's fort on April 9 ‘to talk over matters and things in regard to making arrangements to going up to the Great Salt Lake and come to some understanding when we should make the start.’ was decided not to follow the established Truckee route because of crossing the river so many times [about 22 times.” 16 “Nine pioneers chosen to find a trail over the mountains were Daniel Browett, captain, Ira J. Willes, James C. Sly, Israel Evans, Jacob G.(sic) Truman, Ezra Allen , James R. Allred, Henderson Cox, and Robert Pixton. They decided to follow the ridge between the waters of the Consumnes and the American rivers. It took them 3 days to reach Iron Mountain, where the snow was piled so high in the passes travel was impossible, so they returned to camp. • Birth: 2 OCT 1828 in Hanover, Columbiana, Ohio • Death: 30 MAY 1896 in Lehi, Utah, Utah • Burial: 1 JUN 1896 Lehi, Utah, Utah • LDS Baptism: 26 SEP 1875 • Endowment: 21 JUL 1852 Temple: EHOUS • Ancestral File #: 1KKB-6C • Event: as a PVT in Company B Military 1846 • Event: Alt. Death 31 MAY 1896 Lehi, Utah, Utah • ID: I31090 • Name: Israel EVANS • Given Name: Israel • Surname: Evans • Suffix: , U.S. Mormon Battalion • ***: M • _UID: AA7D20CE9A38AB4F9392C2AA83725DE4A8B2 • Change Date: 8 Oct 2008



Select a language