Attention: This site does not support the current version of your web browser. To get the best possible experience using our website we recommend that you upgrade to a newer version or install another browser

Early Utah Rancher's Wife

Early Utah Rancher's Wife Elizabeth Walton was born in Mexico City, Maine. Her father, Samuel, and Mother, Susan, and two of her mother’s sisters; Martha and Ruth, accepted Mormonism in Maine in 1840. They were part of a caravan of 14 families; totaling 60 persons in all who left Maine in July, 1845. At some point Samuel Walton left his wife Susan and their children with his brother-in-law, Arthur, while he went on ahead to Chicago, Illinois to see if he could find work. About a year later, when Susan went to that place to find him, Samuel could not be found. One of her children later said, “we never saw father again.” Elizabeth and her family were en route to the West for many years. Elizabeth was stricken with a disease which left her bed-fast for eleven years. She heard of the Mormon missionaries and requested that they come and administer to her. She had faith that she would get well, and said, “I know I will get well if they pray for me.” The disease that the Elders had caused to be healed left Elizabeth with one leg shorter than the other. She was about 5 feet 3 inches tall and wore her hair in curls that hung down over her shoulders. Her hair was combed and curled every morning. She was very neat and proud of those curls. She loved her children and devoted her life for them. Elizabeth was a Josephite. She was true to her husband and loved to tell fortunes with cards and tea leaves. A grandson wrote that “soon after Elizabeth and Stephen married, the Civil War began. The slaves from the South were fleeing north for protection and to help the North win the war, for they wanted to be free. One day, one of those fugitive slaves ran into their home. Grandmother [Elizabeth] knew that the officers would be after him soon. She told him to sit on a chair in the corner of the room. She took the bedding off the bed and covered him with it. Then she went on working cleaning the house. Soon the officers came in and asked if a slave had come in her house. She said, ‘I haven’t seen any.’ They searched the house, but didn’t find him. That night after it was dark she gave him something to eat, and he went on his way. " Three years after she married Stephen, Elizabeth Frazier was baptized a member of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints on 7 October 1863 by D. H. Bays. She was confirmed by J. A. McIntosh and George. Morey. Her sister, Hester Ann Frazier, was baptized and confirmed a member of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints on 29 April 1862 at Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie, Iowa. This was the sect that split from the LDS Church after Joseph Smith was murdered and Brigham Young was chosen president. Many of the members believed that Joseph’s son should be the successor and the presidency of the Church should follow the Smith lineage. Elizabeth took grandson, John Arthur Dean, as a chore hand during the summers. She kept him busy carrying water from the spring, feeding pet lambs, chickens, ducks and geese. Elizabeth plucked feathers off the geese and made feather bed ticks and pillows. One of John Arthur Dean’s jobs was to hitch old Kate, her favorite mare, to the buggy. She would go visiting her old friends, taking a dressed chicken, a leg of mutton, a pie or cake, and some currants or gooseberries to them. When Elizabeth’s mother, Granny [Susan] Walton, became elderly, Elizabeth took her into her home and cared for her until she died at 92 years. She also took her widowed sister, Ann Witheral, into her home for years. When Elizabeth was unable to care for herself, she lived with her daughter, Maude Frazier Eastman, in Evanston, Wyoming until her death on August 6, 1918. She was 78 years old. Stephen Vestal lived beyond his wife Elizabeth, dying August 12, 1923, in Evanston, Wyoming, at the age of 84, at Elmer Eastman’s residence. scauhape2002originally submitted this to Frazier Family Tree on 12 Feb 2010



Select a language