Guide to Åkra, Norway ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, and military records
Åkra is in the Karmøy Region. Other parishes in this region include Karmøy the parishes of Avaldsnes, Kopervik (Stangeland), Skudenes, Skudeneshavn, Torvastad (Torvestad), Falnes, Ferkingstad and Åkra.
Åkra is a parish in Kopervik clerical district. Prior to 1887 it was a parish in Skudenes clerical district. Earlier records for Åkra parish burned in 1841. Records begin in 1848. However, there is a record arranged alphabetical by farm listing families living on each farm which fills in much of the information from 1770. 
Microfilms at the Family History Library cover the years: 1841-1905. See FamilySearch Catalog for full details and microfilm numbers.
- Christenings (Døbte): 1841-1905
- Confirmations (Konfirmerte): 1842-1863
- Marriages (Viede): 1841-1863
- Stillborn (Dødfødte): 1841-1905
- Burials (Begravede): 1841-1905
- Vaccinations (Vaksinerte): 1842-1863
- Moving lists (Innflyttede og Utflyttede: 1841-1863
Digital images of the church books are available at Digitalarkivet.
- Skudenes / Åkra: 1848-1881
- Kopervik / Åkra: 1881-1924
- Kopervik / Kopervik og Åkra: 1919-1940 (banns)
- 1664-1666 This census was taken by the local parish priests. It lists the name of the farms, names of farm owners (including widows), the sons of the farm owners, male farm hands, cottagers and their sons, and the ages of each person. A database of this census is available at Digitalarkivet.
- 1701: The census of 1701 was taken for military purposes. It lists only the males living in rural districts who were over the age of one year. It includes the farm name, name and age of the owner, names and ages of sons and servants. Also includes the residence of all unmarried males living away from home when the census was taken.Mantallet (Census) 1701 for Stavanger Amt (Rogaland County)
- 1801 Skudenes clerical district includes Skudenes, Falnes, Ferkingstad, Bokn, and Åkra parishes. It lists the farm name, person's name, position in the household, age, marital status, and occupation. 1801-telling (census) at Digitalarkivet.
- 1865 This census contains the persons name, residence, status in the family, occupation, sex, martial status, place of birth, religion if not a member of the state church, and other miscellaneous information. Each book usually contains one clerical district (prestegjeld). In some books there are two clerical districts recorded. The parishes and school districts in each clerical district are listed at the beginning of each book. 1865-telling (census) at Digitalarkivet.
- 1875 This 1875 census contains the persons name, residence, position in the family, occupation, sex, marital status, year of birth, place of birth, religion if not a member of the state church, and other miscellaneous information.
- 1900 This census contains the persons name, sex, resident or temporary resident, temporarily absent and where person is, position in the family, marital status, occupation, year of birth, place of birth, citizenship, religion, and other miscellaneous information. 1900-telling (census) at Digitalarkivet.
- 1616-1701. The court records contain reports of civil and criminal actions, including the allodial rights, "odelssaker". You will find names, dates, places, and relationships in these records. The records have no indexes, therefore require time to study. They are excellent sources for genealogical research and at times you can find entire families through several generations. These records must be used in conjunction with the mortgage records, probate records, or other records.
- 1670-1910: These mortgage records give information about real estate, conveyances, mortgages, and other transactions of properties. Contracts, agreements, and deeds are also recorded in these books. The panteregisters are extracts of these records. Digitised Real Estate Registers at Digitalarkivet.
For 1666-1795 the probates are found in Ryfylke og Karmsund judicial district.
For 1793-1901 they are found in Karmsund judicial district.
The clerical probates for 1692-1812 are found in Karmsund deanery.
A genealogy of the people and a history of the farms in Åkra on Karmøy. Lillehammer, Arnvid, "Åkra" [S.l.]: Utgitt av bygdebokutvalget i Karmøy, 1980.
Family Group Record forms of the families living in the parishes Falnes, Ferkingstad, Akre and Bokn in Skudenes clerical district before Oct 1841. The parish records were destroyed in a fire in Oct 1841. These records were compiled from the priests survey (G.S. film number 126304) and from the 1758 and 1801 census records. These records are arranged in alphabetical order by the husbands first name.
"Families in Skudenes clerical district from 1670 to 1842," Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1980. FHL INTL Film 1124522 (Names 1670-1842, A - M) FHL INTL Film 1124523 Item 1 (Names 1670-1842, M - Z 1670-1800 A - V (Bokn).
Farm Book on the Internet
Karmøy Genealogy Club is creating an internet accessible listing of the families who have lived on Karmøy. The sources for this website are "Bygdebok for Karmøy," Norges Bybyggelse, notes of Johannes Mjølhus, the church books, probate records, census records, and private family information.
The family listings are by the farm which they lived on. The explanation of the website is in English but the family information is in Norwegian.
You will find a list of all the farms which are found in the modern Karmøy kommune. As the information comes available there will be a link from the table to the information on a specific farm. On the internet you will only find information of those inhabitants who had registered descendants. A more complete listing is found in the office in Skudeneshavn. You can E-mail inquires to Slektsforum.firstname.lastname@example.org.
17 Aadland nordre 15 Aakre 14 Aarvold 18 Fagerland 6 Haringstad 7 Hjemmegjerdet 20 Kleven 20 Liknes nedre 11 Mannes 16 Mehaug 4 Munkejord 12 Naren 7 Randvoldjord 15 Snarteberg 12 Sæveland 2 Sævik 8 Tangen 13 Tjøsvold 12 Træet 10 Trælhaug 9 Varne 5 Vea 1 Vedøen 12 Ødegaardstræet 3 Østhus
For additional information on the farms see above (Farmbooks on the internet), "Karmøy Genealogy Club". Open the page and click on "County Books".