In 1480 the Counts of Hanau-Lichtenberg made Bouxwiller their residence and seat of government. Before 1736 Bouxwiller was in the Grafschaft Hanau-Lichtenberg. When that line was extinguished in 1736 it was transferred to Hesse-Darmstadt. The rights of all nobility over Bouxwiller were abolished by France effective 11 Aug 1789. This was confirmed by the Peace of Lunéville on 9 February 1801. From 1871 to 1919 Bouxwiller was in the German Reich (Buchsweiler, Zabern, Unter=Elsaß, Deutsches Reich). An excellent article about Bouxwiller, written in French, may be found at Bouxwiller (Bas-Rhin).