113th Regiment, Indiana Infantry
This Unit was organized at Indianapolis, Indiana, and mustered in September 19, 1862. It was ordered to Chattanooga, Tennessee, till June, 1865. They mustered out June 28, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 113th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 10 May 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Marion County - see Roster on page 26
- Company B - many men from Marion County - see Roster on page 27
- Company C - many men from Marion County - see Roster on page 28
- Company D - many men from Marion County - see Roster on page 28
- Company E - many men from Marion County - see Roster on page 29
- Company F- many men from Marion County - see Roster on page 30
- Company G - many men from Marion County - see Roster on page 31
- Company H - many men from Marion County - see Roster on page 32
- Company I - many men from Marion County - see Roster on page 33
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 113th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 29 Jan 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Breif history of the 113th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 113th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- The Civil War Archive, information is from A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, by Frederick H. Dyer, histories, diaries, etc., (accessed 6 December 2010).
- "The War For The Union" in History of La Porte County, Indiana: together with sketches of its cities, villages, and townships, educational, religious, civil, military, and political history; portraits of prominent persons and biographies of representative citizens. History of Indiana embracing accounts of the pre-historic races, aborigines, French, English and American conquests, an a general review of its civil, political and military history. (2004. La Crosse, WI: Brookhaven Press.), (page 228; history of Regiment),977.291 H2h FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other libraries Google books INTERNET ARCHIVE