117th Regiment, New York Infantry
The 117th Regiment, or the "Fourth Oneida Regiment" was organized at Oneida County and mustered in August 8, 1862. They were mustered out at Raleigh, N.C. June 8, 1865. Veterans and Recruits transferred to 48th New York Infantry.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 117th Regiment Infantry "4th Oneida Regiment", (accessed August 2012).
The New York State Military Museum website has a unit history project page for the 117th Infantry Regiment.
The Civil War in the East website gives a timeline for the involvement of 117th New York Infantry Regiment in the war.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles,companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A - principally recruited from Rome, Utica and Vernon, Oneida County
Company B - principally recruited from Utica, Camden, Verona and Vienna, Oneida County
Company C - principally recruited from Utica, Westmoreland, Rome and Bridgewater, Oneida County
Company D - principally recruited from Whitestown, Sangerfield, Oneida County
Company E - principally recruited from Utica, Vienna and New Hartford, Oneida County
Company F - principally recruited from Rome, Oneida County
Company G - principally recruited from Oriskany, Trenton, Utica, Floyd, Rome, Steuben and Deerfield, Oneida County
Company H - principally recruited from Utica, Vienna, Rome and Camden, Oneida County
Company I - principally recruited from Rome, Boonville, Ava, Utica, Western and Clay, Oneida County
Company K - principally recruited from Clinton, Remsen, Augusta, Boonville, Deansville, Marshall and Vernon, Oneida County
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers; Sailors System (database on-line)
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865, Albany, N.Y.: J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Collection FHL book 974.7 M2p, FHL film 1486494-1486496
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book,FHL Collection FHL book 973 M2ua
- Mowris, James A. . A history of the One Hundred and Seventeenth Regiment, N. Y. Volunteers, (Fourth Oneida) : from the date of its organization, August 1862, till that of its muster out, June, 1865, Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America,1992 (originally published: Hartford, CT. : Case, Lockwood and Co., 1866). Google books, other libraries with this book , FHL Collection FHL film 1486487, FHL fiche 6083808 (4 fiche)
- Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (database on-line) at http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/ (accessed 2010).
- Hawks, Steve.The Civil War in the East. Database. http://www.civilwarintheeast.com/USA/NY/NY117.php (accessed 8 December 2010)