11th Independent Battery, Ohio Light Artillery
The 11th Independent Battery, Ohio Light Artillery enlisted at Cincinnati, Ohio. The battery mustered into service October 27, 1861 at St. Louis, Missouri. The soldiers were mustered out November 5, 1864 at Columbus, Ohio. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War, 11th Ohio Independent Battery
- The Civil War Archive section, 11th Independent Battery Light Artillery, (accessed 24 August 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Many men were from:
- 11th Ohio Independent Battery Light Artillery, Civil War Index, which includes history, battles, and roster with name, rank, age, date entered service, period of service and remarks.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Ohio in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Ohio in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Ohio, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Neil, Henry M. (Henry Moore). A battery at close quarters : being the story of the 11th Ohio Battery at Iuka and Corinth. (Columbus, Ohio : Ohio Historical Society, 1988), FHL film 1688762 Items 3-4 and A battery at close quarters : a paper read before the Ohio Commandery of the Loyal Legion, October 6, 1909. ( Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6118100