12th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (1 year)
This Unit was organized at Indianapolis, Indiana, for one year's State service May 11, 1861. They were ordered to Washington, D. C., May 5, and mustered out May 14, 1862.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 12th Regiment Infantry (1 Year), (accessed 27 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 12th Regiment Indiana Infantry (1 year), (accessed 20 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- See 12th Regiment, Indiana Infantry. item before this. Is the 12th Indiana Infantry Roster before the Reorganized Roster.
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 12th Regiments, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) articile on the 12th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (1 year)
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).