142nd Regiment, Pennsylvania Infantry
This regiment was organized at Harrisburg September 1, 1862.It mustered out May 29, 1865. 
For more information on the history of the 142nd Pennsylvania Infantry, see the following:
- The Wikipedia article, 142nd Pennsylvania Infantry (accessed 8 November, 2011)
- The Civil War archive section, 142nd Regiment Infantry, (accessed 26 October 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Field Officers and Staff - See Roster
Company A - Many men were recruited in Mercer County - See Roster
Company B - Many men were recruited in Westmoreland County - See Roster
Company C - Many men were recruited in Somerset County - See Roster
Company D - Many men were recruited in Somerset County - SeeRoster
Company E - Many men were recruited in Union County - See Roster
Company F - Many men were recruited in Somerset County - See Roster
Company G - Many men were recruited in Monroe County - See Roster
Company H - Many men were recruited in Fayette County - See Roster
Company I - Many men were recruited in Venango County - See Roster
Company K - Many men were recruited in Luzerne County - See Roster
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Pennsylvania in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Pennsylvania in the Civil War describes many sources, specifically for Pennsylvania, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Downey, James W. "A Lethal Tour of Duty: A History of the 142nd Regiment, Pennsylvania Voluntary Infantry". (Thesis (M.A.)--Indiana University of Pennsylvania, 1995). Worldcat.
- McCalmont, Alfred B. Extracts from Letters Written by Alfred B. McCalmont, Late Lt.-Col. 142d Regt., Col. 208th Regt. and Brev. Brig.-Gen. Pennsylvania Volunteers from the Front During the War of the Rebellion. [Franklin, Pa.]: Printed for private circulation by R. McCalmont, 1908. FHL fiche 6084099. PennStateLibrary. WorldCat.
- Warren, Horatio N. Two Reunions of the 142d Regiment, Pa. Vols. Including a History of the Regiment, Dedication of the Monument, a Description of the Battle of Gettysburg, Also a Complete Roster of the Regiment. (Buffalo, N.Y.: The Courier company, printer, 1890). FHL fiche 6084100. FHL film 1598116 Item 4. InternetArchive.
ForgottenBooks and The declaration of independence and war history, Bull Run to Appomattox : war songs, recitations, poems, familiar songs, Decoration Day poems and speeches, concluding with a war drama, in four acts, entitled "Tilmon Joy, The Emancipator". (Washington, District of Columbia : Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service, 1987), FHL film 1550302and The Declaration of Independence and War History, Bull Run to Appomattox. Buffalo: Courier Co., printers, 1894. FHL film 1550302. InternetArchive. HathiTrust. WorldCat.
- Zorn, Jacob J., and Barbara M. Croner. A Sergeant's Story: Civil War Diary of Jacob J. Zorn, 1862-1865. Apolla, PA: Closson Press, 1999. FHL book 921.73 Z77c. WorldCat.
- Pa-roots gives a history of this regiment and includes rosters for each company. It also lists additional references.
- Ranger95 describes the history of this regiment. It lists rosters for each company. It includes an image of the monument for this regiment.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).