146th Regiment, New York Infantry
The 146th regiment was organized at Rome, Oneida County, and mustered in October 10, 1862 under Colonel Kenner Garrard and Major David T. Jenkins. The regiment was also known as the Halleck Infantry, the Fifth Oneida, and Garrard's Tigers. On May 4, 1863, it received by transfer men from the 5th Infantry. On June 25, 1863, it received men from the 17th Infantry. On October 11, 1864, it received men from the 44th Infantry. The regiment marched to Washington, D. C., May 1-12, 1865 and were mustered out at Washington, D. C., July 16, 1865 under Colonel Grindlay, Lieutenant Colonel Claesgens and Major Powell. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 146th Regiment Infantry "5th Oneida" Halleck Infantry" "Garrard's Tigers", (accessed 17 August 2012).
The Civil War in the East website gives a timeline for the involvement of 146th New York Infantry Regiment in the war.
146th New York Infantry article on Wikipedia gives a brief history of the unit, including places served, battles fought, and commanders.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
See the Regiment Roster, for listing of individuals, their company and their involvement.
Company A - principally recruited from Utica, Oneida County
Company C - principally recruited from Utica and Rome of Oneida County
Company D - principally recruited from Boonville, Hawkinsville, Rome and Whitestown, all of Oneida County
Company E - principally recruited from Camden, Augusta, Rome, Utica and Marshall, all of Oneida County
Company F - principally recruited from Utica, Lee, Rome, Florence, Annsville, Ava, Marcy and Whitestown, all of Oneida County
Company H - principally recruited from Utica, Rome and Sangerfield, all of Oneida County
Company I - principally recruited from Trenton, Remsen, Western, Westmoreland, Steuben, Lowell, Rome, Vernon and Verona, all of Oneida County
Company K - principally recruited from Paris, Clayville, Utica, Marcy, Clinton, Deansville, Marshall and Whitesboro, all of Oneida County
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Collection FHL book 974.7 M2p, FHL film 1486494-1486496
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book,FHL Collection FHL book 973 M2ua
- Brainard, Mary Genevie Green, compiler. Campaign of the One hundred and Forty-sixth regiment New York state volunteers : also known as Halleck's Infantry, the Fifth Oneida, and Garrard's Tigers, Washington,D.C. : Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service, 1988 (originally published: New York : G.P. Putnam's Sons,1915). Google Books , FHL film 1486482FHL fiche 6083839 (7 fiche)
- Fowler, P. H. (Philemon Halsted). Memorials of William Fowler.(Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083840
- North, Edward; Curran, Henry Hastings. Memorial of Henry Hastings Curran : Lieutenant Colonel of the One Hundred and Forty-Sixth Regiment of the New York State Volunteers. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083841
- History of the 146th New York (accessed 16 December 2010) Information used with permission from: Campaigns of the 146th Regt. NY State Volunteers by Mary Brainard, reprinted by Patrick A. Schroeder.
- Perkins, Laura, submitter. History of Oneida County New York (Excerpt from) 1667-1878 by Samuel Durant WAR OF THE REBELLION 1861-1862 (accessed 16 December 2010)
- United States. Army. New York Infantry Regiment, 146th (1862-1865). Campaigns of the One Hundred and Forty-Sixth Regiment, New York State Volunteers : also known as Halleck's Infantry, the Fifth Oneida, and Garrard's Tigers. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083839
- Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers Sailors System (database on-line) at https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/soldiers-and-sailors-database.htm (accessed 2010).
- New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center, 146th Infantry Regiment, Civil War, Halleck Infantry; Fifth Oneida; Garrard's Tigers, (accessed 17 November 2011).
- New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : 146th Infantry Regiment” in New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center at http://dmna.state.ny.us/historic/reghist/civil/infantry/146thInf/146thInfMain.htm (accessed 15 December 2010) citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- Hawks, Steve.The Civil War in the East. Database. http://www.civilwarintheeast.com/USA/NY/NY146.php (accessed 15 December 2010)