14th Regiment, Michigan Infantry
The 14th Regiment, Michigan Infantry was organized at Ypsilanti and Detroit, Michigan on January 7 to February 18, 1862. It was mustered in February 13, 1862. The Regiment was mustered out July 18, 1865 at Louiville, Kentucky. It was disbanded July 29, 1865 at Detroit Michigan. 
For a history of this regiment see Michigan Genealogy on the Web ]which gives a brief history, places served, battles fought, commanders and company rosters.
- The Wikipedia article, 14th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 13 July 2012).
- The Civil War Archive section, 14th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 13 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See Rosters, as there were men from many different Counties in these Companies.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Michigan in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Michigan in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Michigan, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Michigan Adjutant General. "Michigan Civil War Volunteer Registries- 14th Michigan Infantry". Seeking Michigan Website.
- Michigan, and Jno Robertson. Michigan in the War. Lansing: W.S. George & Co., State Printers, 1882. Page 170-181. Google Books. Other Libraries. FHL Film 1294017
- Seeking Michigan Website. Photographs of some members of the 14th Regiment Michigan Infantry. (Accessed July 27, 2011)
- Whitcomb, Larry. "The Civil War Journal of Pvt. Riggs Whitcomb: The 14th Regiment (The Brave Bully 14th) Michigan Infantry Volunteers, Company F, January 1864 - July 1865" (Holland, Mich: Whitcomb Chronicle, 2002). Worldcat.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 November 2010).