15th Regiment, Ohio Infantry
The 15th Regiment, Ohio Infantry mustered in September, 1861 at Mansfield, Ohio. They were mustered out December 27, 1865 at Columbus, Ohio. 
For more information on the history of 15th Ohio Infantry see the following:
- The Civil War Archive section, 15th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 29 August 2012).
- Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War, 15th Ohio Infantry
- The Wikipedia article, 15th Ohio Infantry, (accessed 12 October 2011)
- Ohio in the Civil War, 15th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry (Three Years Service) (1861-1865), (accessed 26 October 2016).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A - Some men from Guernsey County
- 15th Ohio Regiment Infantry (3 years), Civil War Index, which includes history, battles, and roster with name, rank, age, date entered service, period of service and remarks.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Ohio in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Ohio in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Ohio, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Cope, Alexis.The Fifteenth Ohio Volunteers and its campaigns, war of 1861-5. (Columbus, Ohio : Ohio Historical Society, 1988) FHL Film 1688763 Item 11 and (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993) FHL Fiche 6118157 and Roster of the surviving members of the Fifteenth Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry in the war of 1861-1865. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993) FHL Fiche 6118156
- McConnell, William. Diary of William McConnell, private, Company I, 15th O. V. V. I., 1st Brigade, 3rd Div., 4th Army Corps, Army of the Cumberland : from September 16th, 1861 to August 2nd, 1865. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6118158
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 15th (1861-1865). Roster of the surviving members of the Fifteenth Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry in the war of 1861-1865. FHL Film 1688763 Item 7 and Proceedings of the 14th, 15th, 23rd, 34th through 37th annual reunions, Fifteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. FHL book film 1688763 Items 3-6; Items 8-10 and Constitution of the Fifteenth Ohio Infantry together with the proceedings of the annual reunion, 1883. FHL film 1688763 Item 2 (Columbus, Ohio : Ohio Historical Society, 19880
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- William G. Wolfe, Stories of Guernsey County, Ohio: history of an average Ohio county (Cambridge, Ohio: W. G. Wolfe, 1943) p. 275.
- A J Baughman, History of Morrow County Ohio, (Chicago-New York: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1911), page 131 - Internet Archives
- History of Wyandot County, Ohio page 445
- History of Wyandot County, (Chicago: Leggett, Conaway and Co., 1884), page 447. Internet Archive.
- History of Crawford County, Ohio,page 479-480
- C. Richard Michael, Belmont County and the Civil War (St. Clairsville, Ohio: Cumberland Trail Genealogical Society 2009).
- History of Wyandot County, Ohio page 446
- History of Wyandot County, Ohio page 446