17th Regiment, Ohio Infantry
The 17th Regiment, Ohio Infantry mustered in August 30, 1861 at Camp Dennison, Ohio. They were mustered out July 16, 1865 at Louisville, Kentucky. 
For more information on the history of 17th Ohio Infantry see the following:
- The Civil War Archive section, 17th Regiment Infantry (3 years), (accessed 29 August 2012).
- Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War, 17th Ohio Infantry
- The Wikipedia article, 17th Ohio Infantry, (accessed 12 October 2011)
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Field and Staff Officers - See Roster
- 17th Ohio Regiment Infantry (3 years), Civil War Index, which includes history, battles, and roster with name, rank, age, date entered service, period of service and remarks.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Ohio in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Ohio in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Ohio, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- De Velling, C. T. (Charles Theodore). History of the Seventeenth Regiment, First Brigade, Third Division, Fourteenth Corps, Army of the Cumberland, War of the Rebellion. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993)FHL Fiche 6118162 and (Columbus, Ohio : Ohio Historical Society, 1988) FHL Fiche 1688764 Item 4
- Hyde, Solon. A captive of war. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993) FHL Fiche 6118163
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- Charles T. De Velling, History of the Seventeenth Regiment, First Brigade, Third Division, Fourteenth Corps, Army of the Cumberland, War of the Rebellion, (Zanesville, Ohio : E. R. Sullivan, 1899), p. 15. Digital version on Internet Archive. Also on FHL fiche 6118162
- The History of Union County, Ohio, containing a history of the county its townships, towns ... military record, (Chicago: W.H. Beers: 1883), page 463. Digital version: Internet Archive, accessed 4 December 2012.
- Clement Luther Martzolff, History of Perry County, (New Lexington, Ohio: Ward and Weiland, 1902), p. 126. Digital version on Internet Archive and FamilySearch books. FHL book 977.159 H2m and film 897280 item 2