18th Regiment, Massachusetts Infantry
The 18th Regiment, Massachusetts Infantry was organized at Readville and mustered in for 100 days August 6, 1864. There was duty at Camp Meigs, Readville, and they mustered out November 14, 1864. They re-enlisted and mustered in for one year December 6,1864, and mustered out May 12, 1865.
For more information see the following:
- The wikipedia article, 18th Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry(accessed 29 September 2011)
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Massachusetts in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Massachusetts in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Massachusetts, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Civil War in ith East.18th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment. (accessed 13 April 2013).
- Monument to the 18th Massachusetts Voluteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 13 April 2013).
- Images of the 18th Regiment, Massachusetts Infantry, (accessed 13 April 2013).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).