1st/27th Consolidated Regiment, Tennessee Infantry (Confederate)
This regiment was was formed by the consolidation of the 1st Regiment, Tennessee Infantry (Feild's) and the 27th Regiment, Tennessee Infantry in December of 1862. It was merged into the 1st Consolidated Tennessee Regiment April, 1865 and paroled at Greensboro, North Carolina, April 26, 1865.
The 1st/27th reported 8 killed and 75 wounded of the 457 at Murfreesboro, had 14 killed and 75 wounded at Chickamauga totalled 456 men and 290 arms in December, 1863. It surrendered with less that 125 effectives.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A - Nashville, Davidson County - The Rock City Guards
- Company B - Nashville, Davidson County - The Rock City Guards
- Company C - Nashville, Davidson County - The Rock City Guards
- Company D - Williamson County - The Williamson Grays
- Company E - Nashville, Davidson County - The Tennessee Riflemen
- Company F - Nashville, Davidson County - The Railroad Boys
- Company G - Maury and Hardin Counties - The Brown Guards
- Company H - Maury County - The Maury Grays
- Company I - Rutherford County - The Rutherford Rifles
- Company K - Giles County - The Martin Guards
- Company L
The information about the counties is from The War for Southern Independence, Tennessee, (accessed 18 Nov 2011).
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Tennessee in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Tennessee in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Tennessee, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Tennessee 1st & 27th Consoidated Regiment, (accessed 3 Sep 2011). The War for Southern Independence. Brief history, officers, assignments, battles, rosters and research books for purchase listed.
- 1st and 27th Tennessee Infantry Regiment Consolidated, (accessed 3 Sep 2011). Civil War Reference.