1st Company, Vermont Heavy Artillery
The 1st Company, Vermont Heavy Artillery was organized in April, 1865, from surplus Recruits of 2nd Vermont Battery Light Artillery. The company was mustered out July 25, 1865.
For more information on the history of the 1st Company, Vermont Heavy Artillery, see the following:
- The Wikipedia article, Vermont Light Artillery Batteries (accessed 18 November 2011)
- The Civil War Archive section, 1st Company Heavy Artillery, (accessed 14 November 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Vermont in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Vermont in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Vermont, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Breakthrough Battle at Petersburg, 1st Regiment Vermont Heavy Artillery, (accessed 1 April 2013).
- Civil War in the East, 1st Heavy Artillery Regiment, (accessed 1 April 2013).
- 1st Battery Vermont Heavy Artillery (accessed 1 April 2013).
- Civil War in the East,1st Vermont Heavy Artillery Regimant, (accessed 1 April 2013).
- New York Times, Behavior of the First Vermone Heavy Artillery, (accessed 1 April 2013).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System: (accessed 6 December 2010).