1st Squadron, Cherokee Mounted Volunteers (Confederate)
"Units of the Confederate States Army" by Joseph H. Crute, Jr. contains no history for this unit.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- American Indians in the Civil War gives information about Indian fighters in the war and records created about them.
- Confederate Regular Troops in the Civil War describes and explains records about the Confederate Regular Troops, which are the troops created by the Confederate government rather than organized by a particular state,
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains Confederate States (CSA) and United States (USA) records, rather than state records, plus how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- For help with American Indian genealogical research, see the Wiki article, American Indian Genealogy.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).