20th Regiment, Michigan Infantry
The 20th Regiment, Michigan Infantry was organized at Jackson, Michigan on August 15-19, 1862. It was mustered out May 30, 1865. 
For a history of this regiment see Michigan in the Civil War Website which gives a brief history, places served, battles fought, commanders and company rosters.
- The Wikipedia article, 20th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 13 July 2012).
- The Civil War Archive section, 20th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 21 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See Rosters, as there were men from many different Counties in these Companies.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Michigan in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Michigan in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Michigan, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Cutcheon, Byron M. "The Story of the Twentieth Michigan Infantry, July 15, 1862 to May 30th, 1865: Embracing Official Documents on File in the Records of the State of Michigan and of the United States Referring to or Relative to the Regiment" (Lansing: Robert Smith Print. Co, 1904). Internetarchives. FHL Collection. Other Libraries.
- Michigan Adjutant General, and George H. Turner. "Record of Service of Michigan Volunteers in the Civil War, 1861-1865 [Twentieth Infantry]". Lansing, Michigan: Michigan Adjutant-General's Dept, 1905.FHL Fiche 6084677. Other Libraries.
- Seeking Michigan website. Gives Regimental history and some information on individual soldiers in the Regiment. (Accessed August 10, 2011).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 November 2010).