24th Regiment, Tennessee Infantry
The 24th Regiment, Tennessee Infantry was assembled at Camp Trousdale, Sumner County, Tennessee, in August, 1861. Only few surrendered in April, 1865. 
For more information about the 24th Regiment Infantry and its history, see:
Tennesseans in the Civil War, (accessed 22 Oct 2011).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A - Men from Rutherford County
- Company B - Men from Williamson County
- Company C - Men from Macon County
- Company D - Men from Williamson County
- Company E - Men from Sumner County
- Company F - Men from Alexandria, DeKalb County
- Company G - Men from Maury County
- Company H - Men from Hickman County
- Company I - Men from Hickman County
- Company K - Men from Manchester, Coffee County. Some from Wilson County.
- 2nd Company C - Men from Hillsboro, Coffee County
The information about the companies and their counties of orgin came from Tennesseans in the Civil War : a military history of Confederate and Union units with available rosters of personnel, part 1, (Nashville, Tennessee: Civil War Centennial Commission, 1964). FHL book 976.8 M2t; FHL fiche 6046966
Company K (Captain T. C. Goodner) - many men from Wilson County and DeKalb County
The information above is from Goodspeed's History of Tennessee, Vol 8.
Organized June 1861 at Hillsboro
Company G (Captain Wm. May)
Company K (T. C. Goodner)
The information above is from The Goodspeed Histories, Vol 4
Twenty-fourth Tennessee Confederate Regiment
Captain Alexander Baskerville Company - many men from Sumner County
Company C (Captain John M. Uhle) - many men from Macon County
The information above is from The Goodspeed Histories, Vol 9.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Tennessee in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Tennessee in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Tennessee, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Lindsley, John B. The Military Annals of Tennessee: Confederate, First Series; Embracing a Review of Military Operations, with Regimental Histories and Memorial Rolls, Compiled from Original and Official Sources. 1886. Reprint. Spartanburg, South Carolina: Reprint Co., 1974. (Family History Library book 976.8 M2L.) Digital versions at Ancestry ($); Internet Archive. Memorial rolls of the 24th Tennessee Infantry begin on page 399.
- Sumner County, Tennessee In the Civil War, By Edwin L. Ferguson, chapter 7, (accessed 22 Oct 2011).
- Tennesseans in the Civil War, 24th Tennessee Infantry Regiment, (accessed 22 Oct 2011). A brief history.
- The Twenty-Fourth Tennessee (Confederate) Regiment, a brief history, (accessed 29 Dec 2011).
- "Duck River Rifles", 24th Tennessee Confederate Volunteer Infantry Company "G", (accessed 29 Dec 2011). Includes, history, roster, articles, photos, graves and more.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- Tennesseans in the Civil War : a military history of Confederate and Union units with available rosters of personnel, part 1, (Nashville, Tennessee : Civil War Centennial Commission, 1964). FHL book 976.8 M2t; FHL fiche 6046966