2nd Regiment, North Carolina Cavalry
The regiment, except Company A, assembled at Kittrell's Springs in August and September 1861.The horses for the privates were furnished by the State to the Second Cavalry Regiments. Those who remained with the Army were surrendered at Appomattox Court House on 9 April 1865.
"Units of the Confederate States Army" by Joseph H. Crute, Jr. contains no history for this unit.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
COMPANY A - Many men from Cherokee County and Adjoining Counties
COMPANY B - Many men from Iredell County
COMPANY D -- Many men from Cumberland County
COMPANY F - Many men from Guilford County
COMPANY G - Many men from Beaufort County
COMPANY I - Many men from Moore County
The above information about the companies comes from Company K 19th Regiment, 2nd Regiment N.C. Cavalry
Information about the companies and their rosters are in Manarin and Jordan, North Carolina Troops 1861-1865 A Roster.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘North Carolina in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- North Carolina in the Civil War describes many sources, specifically for North Carolina, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Harrell, Roger H. (Roger Herman). The 2nd North Carolina Cavalry. (Jefferson, North Carolina : McFarland & Co., c2004), FHL book 975.6 M2hr.
- Company K 19th Regiment, 2nd Regiment N.C. Cavalry, (accessed 29 April 2011).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- Company K 19th Regiment, 2nd Regiment N.C. Cavalry, (accessed 9 May 2011)
- Manarin, Louis H., and Weymouth T. Jordan. North Carolina Troops 1861-1865 A Roster. Vol 1. Raleigh, N.C.: State Dept. of Archives and History, 1966. FHL book975.6 M2nc Vol. 2